Closed Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Remove the apostrophe (') in Excel cell text values

  1. #1
    Connull
    Guest

    Remove the apostrophe (') in Excel cell text values

    How can I remove the apostrophe (') from the text values in my spreadsheet. I
    need to use this spreadsheet to import data into another program which then
    gives errors due to the (')

  2. #2
    The Netherlands
    Select the cells that you want to clear from apostrophes, choose in the menubar Edit --> Replace
    In 'Find what', fill in your ' ,
    In 'Replace', fill in nothing. Then click 'Replace all'.

  3. #3
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Remove the apostrophe (') in Excel cell text values

    Hi Connull,

    Copy a blank cell
    Select the cells with the offending initial apostrophe
    Edit | Paste Special | Check "Value" and "Add" | OK

    Perhaps counter-intuitively, this works on text values.

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Connull
    Guest

    Re: Remove the apostrophe (') in Excel cell text values

    Thanks Norman, this option removed the apostrophe from the numeric values but
    I am still sitting with the problem of the apostrophe in front of the text
    values. If you have any further suggestions I would be most grateful.

  5. #5
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Remove the apostrophe (') in Excel cell text values

    Hi Connull,

    The Copy (blank) | Paste Special | Add process clears leading apostrophes in
    text values too - at least this works for me.

    ---

  6. #6
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Remove the apostrophe (') in Excel cell text values

    Hi Connull,

    If you want a VBA solution, try:

    Sub DeleteApostrophes()
    Dim rCell As Range

    For Each rCell In ActiveSheet.UsedRange
    If rCell.PrefixCharacter = "'" Then
    rCell.Value = rCell.Value
    End If
    Next rCell

    End Sub

    ---

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Remove the apostrophe (') in Excel cell text values

    Connull

    One more to look at. Stretching here<g>

    If Tools>Options>Transition. "Transition Navigation Keys" is checked you will
    see an apostrophe in the cell if left-aligned text.

    A ^ sign if center-aligned......a " sign if right-aligned.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  8. #8
    Columbus, Ohio
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Wink Re: Remove the apostrophe (') in Excel cell text values

    Quote Originally Posted by Connull View Post
    How can I remove the apostrophe (') from the text values in my spreadsheet. I
    need to use this spreadsheet to import data into another program which then
    gives errors due to the (')
    To remove the leading apostrophe from the text values, 1) copy all of the cells with the leading apostrophe's; 3) Go to either a new worksheet or workbook and copy the selected cells using: "Paste Special, Values." The copied cells should now appear without the apostrophe's and can be copied and pasted back into the original workbook.

  9. #9
    Forum Expert Paul's Avatar
    Wisconsin
    MS-Off Ver
    2016/365
    Posts
    6,885

    Re: Remove the apostrophe (') in Excel cell text values

    Hi Varmentr, welcome to the forum.

    Thanks for posting a possible solution, however this thread is over 7 years old so the original posters are likely no longer watching it. Please take that into account in future posts.

  10. #10
    Southern California
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 and Excel 2007

    Red face Re: Remove the apostrophe (') in Excel cell text values

    Quote Originally Posted by Gord Dibben View Post
    Connull

    One more to look at. Stretching here<g>

    If Tools>Options>Transition. "Transition Navigation Keys" is checked you will
    see an apostrophe in the cell if left-aligned text.

    A ^ sign if center-aligned......a " sign if right-aligned.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP
    Thanks, Gord! This worked well for me and was super easy to do! You don't know the hours I'd spent trying to get rid of this annoyance!
    You're a peach!
    Last edited by arlu1201; 12-06-2012 at 12:25 PM.

  11. #11
    Mazatlan, Mexico
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: Remove the apostrophe (') in Excel cell text values

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    ...this thread is over 7 years old so the original posters are likely no longer watching it. Please take that into account in future posts.
    I'd like to add that google indexing makes content like this timeless. It doesn't really matter that the original posters are likely no longer watching, the rest of the world is. Thanks Varmentr!

  12. #12
    South Shields, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: Remove the apostrophe (') in Excel cell text values

    Thanks Varmentr - your reply might be 7 years after the original question but it worked best for me!

  13. #13
    Texas
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013

    Thumbs down Re: Remove the apostrophe (') in Excel cell text values

    Quote Originally Posted by Varmentr View Post
    To remove the leading apostrophe from the text values, 1) copy all of the cells with the leading apostrophe's; 3) Go to either a new worksheet or workbook and copy the selected cells using: "Paste Special, Values." The copied cells should now appear without the apostrophe's and can be copied and pasted back into the original workbook.
    This worked much better (and easier) than the solutions above. Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    ...Thanks for posting a possible solution, however this thread is over 7 years old so the original posters are likely no longer watching it. Please take that into account in future posts.
    Don't disparage new posters. Threads to problems aren't designed to be only for OPs. You're not running a help desk, this is a publicly visible forum. I came to this site from a Google search and only the 7 year old answer solved my problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by mattmetzger View Post
    I'd like to add that google indexing makes content like this timeless. It doesn't really matter that the original posters are likely no longer watching, the rest of the world is. Thanks Varmentr!
    +1

    Quote Originally Posted by davimac View Post

  14. #14

    Re: Remove the apostrophe (') in Excel cell text values

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Hi Varmentr, welcome to the forum.

    Thanks for posting a possible solution, however this thread is over 7 years old so the original posters are likely no longer watching it. Please take that into account in future posts.

    3437 Days later - I found this thread useful.

  15. #15
    Perth, Western Australia

    Re: Remove the apostrophe (') in Excel cell text values

    Ditto re Varmentr (Thank you! ) Was just what I needed to solve a legacy text formatting issue from an old workbook that I have converted to Excel 2013.
    Regards
    Andy

  16. #16
    Durbanville, South Africa
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 2010

    Re: Remove the apostrophe (') in Excel cell text values

    Hi u'all ...

    I've just joined this forum, having scoured the net for days 'n days for an answer. Before you shout at me, I shall go and look to see how to start a new thread but for the moment I have overcome my problem by saving as a csv and, after reopening, saving as a xlsx.

    My problem is the apostrophes in blank/empty cells after having sent info from Pastel to Excel. Pastel uses the apostrophes as placeholders so that the Excel sheet resembles the printout. Being able to export to Excel is awesome but then, when you have several pages of rows and columns, "ctrl click, delete" becomes a long, brainless, time consuming, mind numbing bind. I'm clearly wanting to use the figures and these "blank" cells are not blank nor empty, resulting in errors when it becomes part of a formula. You'd think MS would have done something about this by now.

    There are many brilliant suggestions, some from them (e.g. Ctrl H, find ~' ... ) but this does not work in the supposedly empty cells. Every solution I've found (+- 15) made my heart sing with joy but the songs have gone from heavy metal to a heart wrenching wrist gnawing break up ballad.

    Anyhoo, the "saving as" works for the short term with both the text, numbers as well as the less than blank cells, specifically when you're dealing with huge sheets.

    Will try to remember to add any earth shattering, mind blowing solutions as they pour in on the other thread I shall try and figure out how to start

    Later then.
    ~T~

Closed Thread