Poor Workbook Performance due to Named Ranges

  1. #1
    jrusso
    Guest

    Poor Workbook Performance due to Named Ranges

    Hello,

    I defined some named ranges in one of my workbooks. I created another
    worsheet that uses references to these named ranges to generate counts using
    the SUMPRODUCT function. The result has been unacceptably slow performance
    in this workbook when using the autofilter to filter by a particular value in
    a particular column. I have the same problem when I manually enter a value
    or paste a value into a cell and move off the cell. The application says,
    "calculating" for about 4-5 minutes.
    Is there any way to improve this performance to an acceptable levesl?

    Thanks,
    John

  2. #2
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: Poor Workbook Performance due to Named Ranges

    You should expect a slow down when using array formulas or SUMPRODUCT used in
    lieu of an array formula. Each calculation requires multiple -- perhaps 100's
    -- of calculations "under the hood".

  3. #3

    Re: Poor Workbook Performance due to Named Ranges

    Just to add to Myrna's post.

    Shrink the ranges in your formulas to as small as they can be (but as large as
    they have to be).

    And in some cases, using a pivottable is an alternative.