Updates

  1. #1
    Clink7
    Guest

    Updates

    I am new to excel. I am trying to track over the course of the year, 3 credit
    cards and how much I pay per month in interest, payments and the total I owe.
    I have a worksheet that is like this:

    Jan Feb Mar Apr
    Card 1
    Total Owed
    Pmt
    Int

    the other 2 cards are listed the same way.

    I have a 2nd worksheet that lists the 3 cards and just the total amt owed
    for each one. How can I keep this updated so that when I update the 1st
    worksheet each month, the 2nd worksheet updates to the latest total amount
    owed?

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Updates

    Hi

    it depends a bit on what you consider the total owed for each card is ... is
    it the addition of the jan + feb + mar (etc) "total owed" row, or is it the
    last value in this row (i.e. if total owed for Jan is 10, Feb is 15, March
    is 5 do you want to see 30 or 5 on the second worksheet?) - i've included
    formulas for both scenarios below - the formula for the answer to be 30 is
    scenario A and the one for the answer to be 5 is scenario B

    for the total owed for the first card the formulas will be like
    Scenario A:
    =SUM(Sheet1!B3:M3)
    where B3 is the cell holding the value for card 1, January amount and Sheet1
    is the name of the worksheet (note, if you sheet name has spaces in it
    you'll need to enclose the sheet name in single quotes, e.g. =SUM('owed on
    cards'!B3:M3)
    Scenario B:
    =INDEX(B3:M3,1,COUNTIF(B3:M3,"<>"))

    just use the same structure but adjust the row numbers for the other cards.

    Hope this helps
    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    clink7
    Guest

    Re: Updates

    Thanks Julie, I need scenario B on my worksheet, the last value in a given
    row. I tried to use the formula but I get nothing in the cell once the
    formula is entered.
    Here is a copy of the formula as I wrote it.

    =INDEX(Rates!C16:O16,1,COUNTIF(Rates!C16:O16,"<>"))

    Where Rates is the 1st spreadsheet and C16 to O16 is the range (the range is
    from December to December or 13 months total).

    Cell C16 is the 1st month and the value is 7378.
    Once I use the formula, on the next worksheet in the cell for the credit
    card, I get a value of zero. What am I missing?

    Thanks for the help.

  4. #4
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Updates

    Hi

    are the values in C16:O16 the results of a formula which equate to zero,

    if so, try this formula

    =INDEX(Rates!C16:O16,1,COUNTIF(Rates!C16:O16,">"&0))

  5. #5
    Clink7
    Guest

    Re: Updates

    Hi Julie,

    I have it almost figured out. I used the scenario B formula you 1st gave me
    and I am able to get it to work, but only if I am on the same worksheet. When
    I try to go to the 1st worksheet I end up getting no values at all. I tried
    making some changes but I cannot get it to get it to work.

    To answer your question yesterday, the values in C16:O16 are zero at this
    time (with the exception of C16, which should be 7378). there is no formula.
    When I can get the latest cell in the range C16-O16 from spreadsheet 1 and be
    able to read the latest cell from spreadsheet 1 in spreadsheet 2, the
    problem is solved. In other words, each month as I go along and update
    spreadsheet 1, spreadsheet 2 will automatically read the latest entry within
    range C16-O16.

    This is almost solved, what is left that I cannot figure out?

  6. #6
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Updates

    Hi

    if you like, zip up the workbook and email it direct to me at
    julied_ng at hcts dot net dot au