Shortcut file fails to open

  1. #1
    JimH
    Guest

    Shortcut file fails to open

    I have used a quicklauch icon for years to start Excel with a default file
    automatically opened. Suddenly this has quit working. Excel opens, I see a
    virus scan being requested in the status bar, but everthing ends with Excel
    open but no with no loaded worksheet.
    I haven't changed anything lately. I have tried deleting and recreating the
    shortcut. I have tried changing the file to a different workbook. Nothing
    works. The workbooks are ok in that they load just fine using file/open once
    Excel loads.
    Has there been some automatic update lately that might have caused this? Any
    ideas at all? Thanks
    JimH

  2. #2
    IanRoy
    Guest

    RE: Shortcut file fails to open

    Hi, JimH;
    I just tried this: dragged a shortcut (to one of my Excel workbooks) onto
    Quicklaunch. Clicked it. The Workbook opened. Is this what doesn't work for
    you?
    Another way: Tools> Options> General> At startup, open all files in:...
    Put the path to your workbook in there. This "should" open that workbook
    whenever Excel started, regardless of whatever other workbook you were
    opening, and regardless of what method you used to open Excel. Is there a
    path in that box?
    Regards,
    Ianroy.

  3. #3
    JimH
    Guest

    RE: Shortcut file fails to open

    Yes, the icon created by dragging a workbook file onto quicklaunch is
    precisely what used to work but now doesn't. I deleted the icon, recreated
    it, created one by dragging a different workbook to the ql bar - all the
    obvious things one might be expected to try. None worked. The shortcut
    properties clearly point to the file. As I said before, it appears that excel
    tries to open the file in that Norton steps in to scan (excel status bar
    displays "requesting virus scan" for a few seconds). There are no error
    messages, excel remains open, there just isnt any open workbook.
    As for the Tools/Options/General approach, I have dozens of files in a
    workbook directory. I certainly dont want Excel opening them all everytime I
    start Excel. I'll have to pass on that approach. Anyway, I shouldn't have to
    pull a work-around for something that has worked just fine for years.
    Any other thoughts?
    JimH

  4. #4
    IanRoy
    Guest

    RE: Shortcut file fails to open

    Hi. JimH;

    I wasn't advocating the Tools/Options/General approach, I just thought
    that's what you might have done ("default file"), and there was a typo in
    that path. I found an entry in Excel online help entitled "Customize how
    Excel starts." There is this item: "Use startup switches when you start
    Excel." The startup switch that may help is /regserver. If using WinXP, I'd
    set a restore point, and then run Excel with that switch once, and see if
    that fixed it.

    PS: Norton runs a virus scan whenever I open Excel, it doesn't seem to be an
    indication that Excel is trying to open an existing workbook.

    Regards,
    IanRoy.