How do I convert a column of cells with text emails to hyperlink to email ...

  1. #1
    G Vandevalk
    Guest

    How do I convert a column of cells with text emails to hyperlink to email ...

    I have a column with text emails in it of the text form "[email protected]"
    I wish to convert the entire row to hyperlinks to email ...

    If I click on "HYPERLINK" and then select email it gives this hyperlink the
    text name
    of [email protected] and asks me to type in the email ... argh...

    -- Gerry

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    Give this a try (backup your file FIRST!!!)

    add a helper column next to (or row below of?) your list of email addresses

    assuming the first address is in B2, enter this in helper column C2 (or helper row B3):

    =HYPERLINK(CONCATENATE("mailto:",(B2)),B2)
    >>> this returns a "friendly" name for the link without the "mailto:" prefix

    The result in C2 should be a link that, when clicked, starts your email program to a new mail form.

    Copy this formula down (or across) as required

    Note: the shortcut to concatentate will not give the desired link:

    ="mailto:"&HYPERLINK(B2)

    Finally, hide column B if desired.

    Good Luck
    Last edited by swatsp0p; 01-14-2005 at 04:13 PM. Reason: additional information...
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    IC
    Guest

    Re: How do I convert a column of cells with text emails to hyperlink to email ...

    I don't know if there's a quicker way, but one way is to double-click on
    each cell with the text in, then press enter, or click the green tick.

    Ian

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: How do I convert a column of cells with text emails to hyperlink toemail ...

    I think I'd insert another column and use a formula like:

    =hyperlink("mailto:"&a1)

    and drag down.

    Hide the original column if you don't want to see it.