Add more columns

  1. #1
    Gnarlodious
    Guest

    Add more columns

    Hello.
    I want to add a few thousand columns to my sheet. How do I do it?

    -- Gnarlie

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Add more columns

    Switch to Quattro Pro.

    XL has a hard limit of 256 columns.

    If you want to use XL, either reorient your sheet to use thousands of
    rows, or use multiple worksheets.

  3. #3
    Gnarlodious
    Guest

    Re: Add more columns

    Entity JE McGimpsey spoke thus:

    > reorient your sheet to use thousands of rows

    That will work, since I only need 36 rows. How to?

    -- Gnarlie

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Add more columns

    Transpose the data

    A1 -> A1
    B1 -> A2
    etc.

    A2 -> B1
    A3 -> C1
    etc.

    Bob Phillips

    news:BE0E03E9.65032%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Gnarlodious
    Guest

    Re: Add more columns

    Entity Bob Phillips spoke thus:

    > Transpose the data
    >
    > A1 -> A1
    > B1 -> A2
    > etc.

    That won't work in this case. Ideally, I need to rotate the sheet format so
    the rows are lettered and columns are numbered. This would give me 2^8 rows
    and 2^16 columns.

    Is it possible?

    -- Gnarlie

  6. #6
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Add more columns

    No - you can use R1C1 notation in which both columns and rows are
    numbered, but you can't use letters for rows.

    You misunderstood what I meant by "reorient", I think. I meant that you
    should redesign your sheet to use rows instead of columns for the range
    that requires thousands of items.

    I'm not sure why that won't work, but if it won't, you'll need to use a
    different application.

    In article <BE0E7ACF.65079%[email protected]>,

  7. #7
    Bill Sharpe
    Guest

    Re: Add more columns

    The poster who suggested Quattro Pro is correct. You can have over
    18,000 columns and up to 1,000,000 rows in QP. Why you would want to
    escapes me. Printing the spreadsheet out will consume a few trees.

    Bill

    news:[email protected]...