unable to open Excel file by double clicks

  1. #1
    Renyan
    Guest

    unable to open Excel file by double clicks

    When I double click the Excel File, I only open the Excel program, not the
    file itself. I can only open the file from Excel menu. I recently upgraded
    the Office from 2000 to XP. I would appreciate if anyone can explain to me.
    Thanks.

    Renyan
    January 15, 2005

  2. #2
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: unable to open Excel file by double clicks

    Renyan

    A few thinks to try (In order)

    1) Go into Tools>Options...>General>un-check 'ignore other applications'
    2) Search for files called xxxxx.xlb (Where xxxxx could be 'Excelx' or your
    user name), move them out of their folders and try starting Excel (They are
    toolbar customisation files). If you are now ok then you can delete the
    files as Excel will have created a new one. (They may be hidden so insure
    you check this option when searching
    3) In windows, go to start>run and type excel.exe /regserver

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bill Sharpe
    Guest

    Re: unable to open Excel file by double clicks

    I had the same problem and #3 worked for me.

    Bill

    news:unjamfu%[email protected]...