How can i imput a formula in excel for finding the area of a regu.

  1. #1
    Rona
    Guest

    How can i imput a formula in excel for finding the area of a regu.

    Please help! I have come up with a mathematical formula for finding the area
    of a regular sided polygon with n number of sides but i can't get it to work
    in excel as its not exactly my strongest aspect of ict! If anyone can help
    please do!

  2. #2
    Forum Expert Cutter's Avatar
    Ontario,Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    6,451
    What is your formula?

    I found one at the link below but it requires knowing a value for the radius of a circle that encloses the polygon.

    http://www.efunda.com/math/areas/Pol...scribedGen.cfm

    Knowing what formula you intend to use would help in telling you how to use Excel for implementing it.

  3. #3

    Re: How can i imput a formula in excel for finding the area of a regu.

    One way:

    =0.25*A1*(A2^2)*(1/TAN(RADIANS(180/A1)))

    With the number of sides in A1
    and the length of each side in A2.

  4. #4

    Re: How can i imput a formula in excel for finding the area of a regu.

    Or this simpler formula:

    =0.25*A1*(A2^2)*(1/TAN(PI()/A1))

    Still with the number of sides in A1