Trouble with Filters on a large file

  1. #1
    Michael
    Guest

    Trouble with Filters on a large file

    Have a huge file, 29000 rows with 6 columns.

    Ran a auto-filter but the filter stops at the "1001" row.

    Thought that I was quite familiar with auto-filters until this.

    Can anyone please help tell me what's worng or what I should do??

    Thanks in Advance

    Michael

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Trouble with Filters on a large file

    Think 1000 is the limit for items to display in the autofilter droplist

    Try Debra Dalgleish's coverage on this at her page:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits
    for a possible workaround
    (Look under "Limits to Dropdown Lists")
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Michael
    Guest

    Re: Trouble with Filters on a large file

    Hi Max,

    Thanks, your suggestion does address the limitation.
    Strange that Microsoft is aware but not doing anything about the 1000 row
    limit.
    Just curious if there is any good reason for this.

    Regards

    Michael

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Trouble with Filters on a large file

    "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Thanks, your suggestion does address the limitation.

    You're welcome. Thanks for posting back.

    > Strange that Microsoft is aware
    > but not doing anything about the 1000 row limit.
    > Just curious if there is any good reason for this.

    I've no comments here, sorry.
    Maybe hang around awhile for possible insights from others.
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  5. #5

    Re: Trouble with Filters on a large file

    Just my opinion...

    I'm kind of surprised it's as big as 1000 unique entries. I bet that MS figured
    that they had to limit it to something (at least 64k-1 <bg>).

    And by filtering using custom, you can lots--and if that's not enough, you could
    use a formula in a helper column and filter on that.

    (And sometimes just Edit|Find is quicker when each value shows up only once.)