AutoFill Linked Cells

  1. #1

    AutoFill Linked Cells

    Hi,
    I have a cell that is linked to another sheet in the same workbook;
    let's say the reference is =Jan!$B$21. I want the cell next to that to
    be =Feb!$B$21.

    Is there any way to use AutoFill? This would save a huge amount of time
    for me rather than Copy-->PasteSpecial-->PasteLink
    All help appreciated in advance

  2. #2
    Netherlands
    MS-Off Ver
    You can use the indirect formula

    =INDIRECT(A1&"!"&A2)
    where A1 = jan or feb (sheetname)
    and A2 = $B$21 (reference)

    regards,
    Arien

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: AutoFill Linked Cells

    Try using INDIRECT on an autofilled row ..

    Put in say, C10: Jan
    Drag C10 across to autofill: Feb, Mar, etc in D10, E10, etc

    Then put in C11: =INDIRECT("'"&C10&"'!B21")
    Copy C11 across

    C11 will return the same result as: =Jan!$B$21
    D11 will return the same result as: =Feb!$B$21
    and so on
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    GregR
    Guest

    Re: AutoFill Linked Cells

    Max, how is this formula modified to include a workbook name and the year is
    added to the month. For instance the intial formula is:

    ='[SEA Oct04.xls]SCCS'!$J173

    and dragging the formula will produce:

    ='[SEA Nov04.xls]SCCS'!$J173.

    Is it =Indirect(""'[SEA &c10&04.xls]SCCS"'!$J173"). TIA

    Greg
    news:O%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: AutoFill Linked Cells

    Assuming the set-up is:

    Listed in B1:B2 are the text: SEA, SCCS

    Put in B2: Oct
    Copy across to C3, etc to autofill: Nov, ...

    Put in B3:
    =INDIRECT("'["&$B$1&" "&B$2&"04.xls]"&$C$1&"'!J173")
    Copy B3 across

    The above will return the links you want

    Or, if the sheetname "SCCS" doesn't have to be softcoded,
    you could just put in B3:
    =INDIRECT("'["&$B$1&" "&B$2&"04.xls]SCCS'!J173")
    and copy across as before

    Note that the "slave" books: SEA Oct04.xls, SEA Nov04.xls, etc
    have to be open for INDIRECT to work,
    otherwise you'll get #REF! errors
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
    xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com
    ----
    news:#[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Max
    Guest

    Re: AutoFill Linked Cells

    Oops, sorry, typo in line:
    > Listed in B1:B2 are the text: SEA, SCCS

    Line should read as:

    --
    Rgds
    Max

  7. #7
    GregR
    Guest

    Re: AutoFill Linked Cells

    Max, thank you very much.

  8. #8
    Max
    Guest

    Re: AutoFill Linked Cells

    You're welcome !
    Thanks for the feedback
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  9. #9

    Re: AutoFill Linked Cells

    This seems way more complicated than I hoped.
    Copy>pasteSpecial>pasteLink will be faster

    This just seems like way to much effort for something I hoped would be
    simple

  10. #10
    Max
    Guest

    Re: AutoFill Linked Cells

    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > This seems way more complicated than I hoped.
    > Copy>pasteSpecial>pasteLink will be faster
    >
    > This just seems like way to much effort for something I hoped would be
    > simple

    It'll take less than 15 seconds to compose say,
    an entire year's (12 months) set-up.

    > Put in say, C10: Jan
    > Drag C10 across to autofill: Feb, Mar, etc in D10, E10, etc
    >
    > Then put in C11: =INDIRECT("'"&C10&"'!B21")
    > Copy C11 across

    (You could have also just selected C10:C11, and filled across 12 cols to
    N11)

    IMO, 15 seconds seems a pretty good option
    compared to a cell-by-cell / sheet-by-sheet approach using paste link ..

    --
    Rgds
    Max