[SOLVED] Excel file format problem

  1. #1
    Dave Gower
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Excel file format problem

    I have an Excel file on a floppy that was created in the year 2000 on a (now
    deceased)
    computer with WIN98 and Office 2000. I just tried to open it on my Panasonic
    Toughbook with WIN98, also Office 2000. The Excel refuses to open it, saying
    "file format is not valid". In spite of that, the Toughbook successfully
    copied it from the floppy onto the hard disk using My Computer. I copied
    that one onto another floppy and successfully opened it on my main computer
    with Office 2000 and XP.

    So how could the file format be a problem? The Excel on my Toughbook works
    fine with other files. It even opens files created in Lotus 123 on a 286.
    The only difference I can see with this one is it's
    quite big (1.2M). I've been all over the Excel help and can't see anything
    that seems to cover this.

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Excel file format problem

    Floppies are a problem, period. I can not improve upon this post from Gord
    Dibben

    First of all.......you should never save to or open from removable media
    directly.

    Save to HDD then copy to the CD. Same when opening. Copy to HDD then open.

    The read only bit.......

    That is the default behaviour when saving/copying to CD.

    All depends upon how the files get "burned" to the CD.

    With regular Windows burning, they will always be read-only.

    If you were to use a packet writing application like Nero InCD, files would
    not be read only and individual files could be erased or written to on the
    CD
    just like a big floppy disk.

    See this google search thread

    http://snipurl.com/6llq

    Note the link to Alex Nicholl's site.

    Also http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/cdr_info.htm

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Excel file format problem

    Did you try opening it on your Panasonic from the HD copy? You should
    never open an XL file directly from a floppy - XL opens a bunch of temp
    files, at least some on the same volume as the opened file. If your file
    is 1.2M, you'll easily run out of room.

    In article <[email protected]>,

  4. #4
    Dave Gower
    Guest

    Re: Excel file format problem

    "JE McGimpsey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Did you try opening it on your Panasonic from the HD copy? You should
    > never open an XL file directly from a floppy - XL opens a bunch of temp
    > files, at least some on the same volume as the opened file. If your file
    > is 1.2M, you'll easily run out of room.

    Sorry, I should have added in my post that I tried it both ways. When it
    wouldn't open off the floppy, I copied it onto the HD and tried from there.
    Same result.

    I've been all over it again and can't find anything that is strange about
    the format. It has VB macros. Could they be triggering some sort of security
    action (I have a high level of security on the laptop)? I ask that because
    when I opened it on my big XP machine it asked me if I wanted to open the
    file with macros, which I did and it opened fine.

    This is really weird. I've been using Excel since the mid 90s and haven't
    seen anything like it.

  5. #5
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Excel file format problem

    Got me stumped. The presence of macros will not, AFAIK, cause a file
    format is not valid error.

    I've seen cases where trying to open the resource fork of a MacXL file
    caused that error, but you said the file was generated in XL00, so that
    can't be it.

    In article <[email protected]>,

  6. #6

    Re: Excel file format problem

    OpenOffice also has a reputation for opening files that excel can't.
    (http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD)

    If the file is really important, there are commercial recovery services. I've
    never used it, but you might want to check into:
    http://www.officerecovery.com

  7. #7
    harsha
    Guest

    Excel file format problem

    A roundabout way of doing it would possibly be....
    *Rename the XL file on your floppy from Name.xls to
    name... best done in Command prompt rather than My
    computer as the file extensions might be hidden.
    *Try a drag and drop onto ur Excel application
    If same error,
    Try opening the file from the Excel Application File
    Menu,ensure the Files of type is set to "All microsoft
    Excel files" or *.xls
    Hope, one of them works.

    -Gujjar