probably a simple question but...

  1. #1
    Matt
    Guest

    probably a simple question but...

    I have an Excel 2000 document that basically sums up individual category
    sales and calculates percent of total sales for each of location of our
    company. What I'm wondering is, can I put one of these on sheet one of a
    document, another on sheet two of the same document, and then create one on
    sheet 3 that adds from sheets 1 & 2 to give me a total for the entire
    company? And if so, then what would the basic functions look like?

    And does anyone have a good web reference for learning more complicated
    features of Excel (I'm just a beginner)?

  2. #2
    Phoenix, Az

    Lightbulb

    This gives you an idea of how to sum from multiple pages:
    (the dollar signs are for static ranges)

    =SUM(FirstPage!$a$2:$a$5000)+SUM(SecondPage!$a$2:$a$5000)

  3. #3
    Kevin H. Stecyk
    Guest

    Re: probably a simple question but...

    Matt wrote...
    >I have an Excel 2000 document that basically sums up individual category
    >sales and calculates percent of total sales for each of location of our
    >company. What I'm wondering is, can I put one of these on sheet one of a
    >document, another on sheet two of the same document, and then create one on
    >sheet 3 that adds from sheets 1 & 2 to give me a total for the entire
    >company? And if so, then what would the basic functions look like?
    >
    > And does anyone have a good web reference for learning more complicated
    > features of Excel (I'm just a beginner)?

    Hi Matt,

    That sounds like an opportunity to use pivot tables. You can learn more
    about them here:

    http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm

    http://edferrero.m6.net/Pivot.html

    To answer your specific question, yes you can have data on sheets one and
    two with a summary on sheet three.

    Sheet 3 Cell A1:

    =Sheet1!A1+Sheet2!A1

    That adds the information from Sheets 1 and 2 on cell A1.

    But have a look at pivot tables. They do take some time to learn.

    Best regards,
    Kevin

  4. #4
    Matt
    Guest

    Re: probably a simple question but...

    "Kevin H. Stecyk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Matt wrote...
    >
    > That sounds like an opportunity to use pivot tables. You can learn more
    > about them here:
    >
    > http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm
    >
    > http://edferrero.m6.net/Pivot.html
    >
    > http://www.cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm

    Thanks, I'll check them out!!

  5. #5
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: probably a simple question but...

    Hi

    i would also add

    www.contextures.com/tiptech.html to that list, not only for pivot table
    information but for lots of other useful stuff.

    Cheers
    JulieD

  6. #6
    Matt
    Guest

    Re: probably a simple question but...

    "JulieD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:O%[email protected]...
    > Hi
    >
    > i would also add
    >
    > www.contextures.com/tiptech.html to that list, not only for pivot table
    > information but for lots of other useful stuff.
    >
    > Cheers
    > JulieD

    Thanks!