How do I stop excel removing zeros?

  1. #1
    tomcat
    Guest

    How do I stop excel removing zeros?

    Hi,

    I'm opening a .csv file directly from a web page that has customer data in
    it for producing despatch labels for orders. Some American postcodes begin
    with a zero, and excel removes any leading zeros resulting in an incorrect
    postacode.

    If anyone knows how to EITHER get Internet Explorer to open the .csv in
    notepad, or stop excel removing the leading zero it would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Michael Malinsky
    Guest

    Re: How do I stop excel removing zeros?

    Unfortunately, Excel is treating the zip code as a number and will
    automatically drop any leading zeros. If you're strictly using this
    information in Excel, then format the column using the Special format for
    zip code (Tools>Options, Number tab, Special, Zip Code). If you have an
    earlier version, you may have to use the Custom format and enter 00000. If
    you plan on exporting this data elsewhere, the leading zero will again be
    dropped because you just changed the format, not the actual number.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Greg
    Guest