Frank Kabel: A Sad Day For The Excel Community

  1. #1
    Norman Harker
    Guest

    Frank Kabel: A Sad Day For The Excel Community

    Hi Everyone!

    The heading expresses our distress at a loss to the community of
    Excel.

    It is with the greatest of sadness that I must report the news that
    Frank Kabel has died in a tragic accident whilst on holiday in his
    home country of Germany.

    I'm afraid that at this stage, whilst the news has been confirmed from
    his employers, we know nothing more. It falls to me to try and do
    justice to a good mate on behalf of Bob Phillips, Ron de Bruin and all
    of Frank's other many "Excel friends".

    Frank was not only a very major contributor to these newsgroups but he
    was also a great innovative developer and friend to all. Despite
    English being his second language his replies to public and private
    correspondence were always well worth reading for content and charm.
    It is difficult to believe that Frank only started posting to
    newsgroups in late 2003 but his posts were immediately prolific and
    helpful to all. At one stage Frank was such a prolific poster we even
    thought that he was several people. It was difficult to comprehend how
    he could compose so many excellent replies at such a high speed. Frank
    was our newest MVP Excel and he achieved this recognition at the same
    record speed that he was used to working at. It is distressing to
    many outside Germany that we never got to meet him in person. Here
    though is a photograph that we can remember him by.

    http://www.jumper.ch/infos.htm

    Many thousands will have benefitted from his efforts to help and
    educate; even more will benefit over the years from the time and
    considerable energy that Frank devoted to developing and sharing his
    knowledge. Bob Phillips, Ron de Bruin and I worked many hundreds of
    hours with Frank on projects such as QDE (Quick Date Entry) and the
    EasyFilter Addins. A pre-production Addin CFPlus being worked on with
    Bob Phillips and giving the additional conditional formatting has only
    happened because of Frank's energy and we know that he was very proud
    of its concept and implementation. Frank also was driving,
    contributing, and stimulating other projects and updates and we know
    that Frank had so much more he wanted to give to the community of
    Excel users. He was a great team player and we could guarantee high
    speed, critical and friendly feedback. We will miss him not only for
    his contributions but also for his humour and sincere friendship. He
    enjoyed a Single Malt and a good cigar and lived, and gave of his
    life, to the full.

    We offer condolences to his family and friends at the loss of Frank at
    such a young age. Frank came from Hamburg where his family still live
    and had a long term girlfriend to whom we offer the sympathy that can
    do little to make up for her loss.

    We have all lost a good and sincere friend. Frank represented the very
    highest of the traditions of these Excel Groups.

    I have undertaken to ensure the collection and collation of responses
    to this post both public and private and I will ensure a suitable
    presentation to his family.

    --
    Regards
    Norman Harker MVP (Excel)

    --
    Regards
    Norman Harker MVP (Excel)

  2. #2
    Kevin H. Stecyk
    Guest

    Re: Frank Kabel: A Sad Day For The Excel Community

    Hi Norman,

    I am very sorry to learn of Frank's passing.

    I enjoyed seeing and learning from his posts.

    His absence will be dearly missed.

    Best regards,

    Kevin

  3. #3
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Frank Kabel: A Sad Day For The Excel Community

    Norman,

    It is, indeed, a sad day. Thank you for providing this information on our
    loss. We, here, tend to become a family and he will be sorely missed on all
    fronts. You couldn't have said it better. I never knew where he found all
    the time to contribute so much. Sometimes I thought him to be several people
    using the same name.

    BTW. The pictures did not come thru on the url.

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    CarlosAntenna
    Guest

    Re: Frank Kabel: A Sad Day For The Excel Community

    Norman,

    It is indeed sad for such a young and vital individual to be lost in the
    prime of life. I can only echo your sentiments that he will be greatly
    missed. I always found his posts to be informative and his treatment of
    people to be of the highest caliber.

    Carlos

  5. #5
    Bob Adams
    Guest

    Re: Frank Kabel: A Sad Day For The Excel Community

    Greetings Norman.

    It was with deep sadness that I read of Franks passing. He will surely be
    missed, both in the Excel community and in his private circle of friends
    and family.
    His willingness to be of service and his gentle manner have been evidenced
    in this group for some time.
    I don't contribute very often but I read this group quite frequently and
    have archived many of Franks solutions which were both elegant and generous.
    My condolences to his family and to his friends, of which I'm sure he has
    many.

    regards,
    Bob

  6. #6
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Frank Kabel: A Sad Day For The Excel Community

    It seems the good -- they die young. We just turned around and he's gone.

    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Ken Macksey
    Guest

    Re: Frank Kabel: A Sad Day For The Excel Community

    Hi

    I never met Frank but have read many of his responses in the excel
    newsgroups. He will be missed greatly here and my condolences go out to his
    family and friends.

    Ken Macksey

  8. #8
    Norman Harker
    Guest

    Re: Frank Kabel: A Sad Day For The Excel Community

    Hi Don!

    Thanks for your tribute. It is true that we "Regulars" are a family. I
    certainly felt as if I had lost a brother. Although I haven't been
    very "public" recently, I was working with Frank, Bob, and Ron on a
    number of projects that will be published very shortly. Right up until
    5th January we were working on a major spreadsheet on dates. It is a
    great pity that I can no longer look forwards to his critical comments
    and the comfort of knowing that if Frank has said it's OK, then it
    *is*.

    Frank was a great stimulator of thought on the EasyFilter Addin and
    the next version will reflect a lot of his ideas. Frank was also
    working closely with Bob on a new conditional format addin.

    The link is working OK now. At least it is from here.

    http://www.jumper.ch/infos.htm

    It might have been taken down for a short time whilst Monika Weber was
    upgrading it.

    Frank will certainly respect my toast to him with a good Single Malt
    and I know he would have accepted with resignation your toast with Old
    Turkey.

    --
    Regards
    Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
    news:%[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Frank Kabel: A Sad Day For The Excel Community

    Norman,

    I recall that Frank was always gentle in correcting some of my hasty posts
    to the ng. He was very supportive in all that he did. Again, he will be
    missed. I'll have a sip of bird in his honor.

    Thanks for the link. Although I lived in Austria/Germany for 3 years as a
    teenager (so long ago), I can no longer properly read German but do
    appreciate the feelings on the link.

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  10. #10
    Toronto, Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    2003/2007

    God bless his soul

    May God Bless his soul and my deepest condolences to his family.

  11. #11
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Frank Kabel: A Sad Day For The Excel Community

    Don,

    It has been translated to English as well now for all of us who struggle
    with German.

    Bob

  12. #12
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Frank Kabel: A Sad Day For The Excel Community

    Norman and Monika,
    Thanks for updating us, and condolences to his family.

    It is hard to believe that he is gone. I did not expect to see young
    man when I went to look at the picture(s), which makes his skill in
    Excel, and the time he spent in the newsgroups even more amazing.

    --
    David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel

  13. #13
    Ed
    Guest

    Re: Frank Kabel: A Sad Day For The Excel Community

    I, too, felt the warmth and graciousness of Frank's help on the NG. He
    offered to receive workbooks from me - someone he knew only as a newbie
    needing help - and burden his own time on them with no compensation other
    than knowing he had helped someone else out of a burden. He will continue
    to be an inspiration to me as an Excel worker, but more as an example of
    selfless giving.

    Ed Millis

  14. #14

    Re: Frank Kabel: A Sad Day For The Excel Community

    I am so sorry to hear Frank has passed on. I only met him online less
    than a year ago. His warmth and generosity has a lasting legacy all
    over the planet... as his solutions are helping to run spreadsheets in
    many small business here in Canada.

    We wont' forget what you did for us all, Frank.

    Nick
    British Columbia
    Canada

  15. #15
    Fizz
    Guest

    Re: Frank Kabel: A Sad Day For The Excel Community

    Norman.

    Really sorry to hear this. Frank helped a lot of people and was the
    first to answer my posts. He was smart, articulate and professional.