Making a One Column Directory from Two Columns

  1. #1
    Dennis Hughes
    Guest

    Making a One Column Directory from Two Columns

    I'm using Excel 2003.

    I have a 2 column list of chapter members' names in one column and their
    schools inthe other. There are over 1800 entries.

    I want to end up with a single column sorted by the schools, with the name
    of the school in a row, followed below by the names of the graduates in
    separate rows. then the next school, etc.

    Like
    Emery-Riddle University
    Jones, Frank
    Smith, Fred
    Franklin University
    Adams, Susan
    Baker, Sam

    Is there a formula that can do this or do I have some (a lot) manual
    formatting to do?

    Thanks,

    Dennis

  2. #2
    Eloy
    Guest

    RE: Making a One Column Directory from Two Columns

    Let's see. It's going to sound more complicated than it really is but here
    goes. You neext to get creative with sorting. I am assuming you have 2
    columns of data.
    First, sort the sheet down by school.
    Then insert a column in column 1. Then add a sequential number to each row
    all the way down the line. Start at 1 in row 1, 2 in row 2, 3 in row 3. Then
    auto-fill the rest.
    "B".
    Then select all the schools in column 4 & cut & paste them after the last
    entry in column 3. Next for this group enter the value "A" in column 2 for
    the school names. This will be your secondary sort key. Now you just need to
    copy the sequence numbers that are next to the names in column 1 and paste
    them starting at the first school row. Now you have your primary sort key.
    You can now sort the whole sheet by column 1 & column 2. This will put them
    into the order you want.
    Hope it helps
    Eloy