Ignoring Blank/Empty Cells that contain formulas

  1. #1
    pabown
    Guest

    Ignoring Blank/Empty Cells that contain formulas

    I have a column row of formula's that take data from another worksheet, when
    there is an error in the original data it leaves the cell blank.

    Formula =IF(ISERR('JAN 2005'!Y55),"",'JAN 2005'!Y55)

    My problem is that there is a graph generated from this column and it treats
    all the blank cells as zero, this messes up the graph and shows it dropping
    to zero. (The errors alway happen at the end of the data)

    Is there a way to get the graph to ignore the zero figures or rebuild the
    formula to show the cell as truly blank?

    Regards

    Paul

  2. #2
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: Ignoring Blank/Empty Cells that contain formulas

    Change the formula to

    IF(ISERR('JAN 2005'!Y55),NA(),'JAN 2005'!Y55)

    and try it again.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    pabown
    Guest

    Re: Ignoring Blank/Empty Cells that contain formulas

    Thanks for the quick reply Barb,

    Your adjustment just gives me a result of #N/A in the cell and my graph
    still takes the result to read zero

    Regards

    Paul

  4. #4
    Harlan Grove

    pabown wrote:
    >Your adjustment just gives me a result of #N/A in the cell and my

    graph
    >still takes the result to read zero

    >"Barb Reinhardt" wrote:
    >>Change the formula to
    >>
    >>IF(ISERR('JAN 2005'!Y55),NA(),'JAN 2005'!Y55)
    >>
    >>and try it again.

    What kind of chart are you generating? Barb's approach works for x-y
    and line charts, but not for column or bar charts.

  5. #5
    pabown
    Guest

    Re: Ignoring Blank/Empty Cells that contain formulas

    Tried it again and it worked perfectly, I must have made a mistake when
    modifying the original formula, Thanks