SUMPRODUCT across worksheets

  1. #1
    Stephen POWELL
    Guest

    SUMPRODUCT across worksheets

    I am familiar with using SUMPRODUCT(--(criterion=range1),(range2)) to obtain
    results not possible with SUMIF. However, I would now like to apply this to,
    say, all D5 cells in many contiguous worksheets. I get error results. Can
    someone confirm that this is not possible to do? Any suggestions for a way
    around this?
    Many thanks,
    Stephen Powell

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: SUMPRODUCT across worksheets

    If you only have one criteria like in a sumif and either sum the same range
    or another range you can use this:
    First you need to create a list with ALL (not like in 3-D excel first and
    last) sheet names or if they have the same aplha name plus numbers you can do
    it as well.
    1. if they all have different names and you put all sheet names in range
    H1:H20
    and let's say you want to sum B1:B100 in all sheets where A1:A100 is criteria1
    then you can use this

    =SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&$H$1:$H$20&"'!A1:A100"),"criteria1",INDIRECT("'"&$H$1:$H$20&"'!B1:B100")))

    if the names are identical text plus different numbers like Sheet1, Sheet2
    amd so one then you can use

    =SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'Sheet"&ROW(INDIRECT("1:20"))&"'!A1:A100"),"criteria1",INDIRECT("'Sheet"&ROW(INDIRECT("1:20"))&"'!B1:B100")))

    if you need more criteria and more ranges may I recommend Morefun by Laurent
    Longre

    It's an excellent add-in that has some nice 3-D features

    http://longre.free.fr/english/

    here's a description in English

    http://www.rhdatasolutions.com/morefunc/

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  3. #3
    Stephen POWELL
    Guest

    RE: SUMPRODUCT across worksheets

    Peo:
    Thank you kindly. Your solution works nicely. I've never used INDIRECT
    before and it is not intuitively obvious to me why it works - I will have to
    research this function to understand it.
    Thanks again.
    Stephen

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom