Need ability to leave certain cells of an worksheet editable.

  1. #1
    Tyler
    Guest

    Need ability to leave certain cells of an worksheet editable.

    I am trying to lock out only certain cells on a spreadsheet. They need input
    from several other cells to calculate a formula, and I need these other cells
    to be editable without using a password. I have tried following the methods
    listed in the help file and the online help for excel, but it's not working,
    only 1 of the cells is remaining editable. Ideas?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007
    Hi!

    Maybe see the earlier post today

    How do I protect specific cells from changes in Excel

    Two ways there.

    Alf

  3. #3
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Need ability to leave certain cells of an worksheet editable.

    Each cell has it's own locked/unlocked status that only comes into effect
    when the sheet has been protected. Select your cells, do format / cells /
    protection, UNTICK locked, Now protect sheet. Cells you formatted will be
    editable.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Need ability to leave certain cells of an worksheet editable.

    Tyler

    By default all cells in a worksheet are locked when the sheet is protected
    under Tools>Protection>Protect Sheet.

    Select the cells you want to be available for editing.

    Format>Cells>Protection. Uncheck "locked" and OK your way out.

    Now go to Tools>Protection>Protect Sheet. You can choose to password protect
    and if using XL2002 or 2003 also pick from the options listed.

    Note: worksheet protection passwords are quite easy to crack, but if your
    users are not too sophisticated you should have no worries.

    It looks like you just want the protection so data doesn't get overwritten,
    not for security.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Tyler
    Guest

    Re: Need ability to leave certain cells of an worksheet editable.

    Thanks for the quick responses. I won't be in the office tomorrow, but I will
    try this when I get in Thursday morning. Thanks again

    -Tyler-