Calculate median for different groups

  1. #1
    Daniel
    Guest

    Calculate median for different groups

    Hi,

    I have a file with data and some months on, the months
    are as numbers, e.g. jan =1 , feb =2, . I would like to
    be able to calcule the mean values based on data in col
    a by month in col c. It would be good if i could have
    just one formula that looks at the records in col c and
    if it is say 1, than looks at the value in col and then
    returns the median ov all records where colc is 1, then I
    could do the same for the other months.

    Hope this makes sense,

    Cheers

    Daniel

  2. #2
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: Calculate median for different groups

    Median or mean? Median for Jan.:

    =MEDIAN(IF(C1:C100=1,A1:A100))

    Array-entered, meaning press ctr/shift/enter.

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Calculate median for different groups

    I suspect you'll ultimately be happier if you use a Pivot Table, which
    can show the mean values for all months simultaneously:

    But for an individual month you could use (array-entered):

    =AVERAGE(IF(A1:A100=1,C1:C100,""))