Closed Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Case sensitive advanced filtering

  1. #1
    Big Tony
    Guest

    Case sensitive advanced filtering

    I need to filter a list into unique entries on a case sensitive basis.
    Basically, I need the filter to recognize that "David" is unique from
    "DAVID". Right now the advanced unique filter returns one line not two.

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    Autofilter is case insensitive and I don't know of a work around.

    I'm not sure what your objective is, however, it is possible to change all your entries to either ALL capital letters, all lower case or Proper case (first letter capital, remaning lower in each word).

    If the Proper case will meet your needs, simply add a helper column next to your Name column and enter this formula:

    =Proper(A1) and copy down (substitute your cell ref. for A1 as needed)

    Now, david, David and DAVID will all appear as David. If the entry is, say, DAVID SMITH, the result will be David Smith.

    Hide or Delete your original Name column, as desired.

    HTH
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Case sensitive advanced filtering

    Create a criteria area on the worksheet (cells J1:J2 in this example)
    Leave the criteria heading cell blank
    In the cell below (J2), enter a formula that refers to the first row of
    data in the table. For example, if your names start in cell B2:

    =SUMPRODUCT(--EXACT(B2,$B$1:B2))=1

    Select a cell in the data table, and choose Data>Filter>Advanced Filter
    Select 'Copy to another location'
    For list range, select the column to be filtered.
    For criteria range, select the blank heading, and the cell with the
    formula: $J$1:$J$2
    For Copy to, select the starting cell for the copied data.
    Click OK

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List