Microsoft Excel Number Combinations

  1. #1
    FLYNNE
    Guest

    Microsoft Excel Number Combinations

    In Microsoft excel 2002 one of the functions is the COMBIN
    function.
    This calculates the number of groups of x in a larger
    group of y.
    For example how many groups of two objects can you get in
    a total group of 6 ?
    Insert =COMBIN(6,2) in a cell and the answer is 15.
    Consider the following list of numbers :-

    2 , 9 , 14 , 16 , 29 , 35

    Can excel calculate all the possible pairs of numbers in
    this list and print out or display the result as follows.

    2 9
    2 14
    2 16
    2 29
    2 35
    9 14
    9 16
    9 29
    9 35
    14 16
    14 29
    14 35
    16 29
    16 35
    29 35

    Any suggestions please

    Regards

    Flynne

  2. #2
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Microsoft Excel Number Combinations

    There is no Excel command to do this automatically. Myrna Larson
    publised VBA code several years ago

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...50eee92452c83c

    You might also look at Constantine Stamatopoulos' journal article

    "Generation of combinations using Excel" J. Mod. Appl. Stat. Methods
    1:191-194,2002
    http://tbf.coe.wayne.edu/jmasm/

    Jerry

  3. #3
    Guest

    Re: Microsoft Excel Number Combinations

    Hi Jerry

    Thank you for your prompt and detailed reply.
    There is quite a bit of information to get through from
    the sites you supplied.
    I will let you know how it turns out.

    Regards

    FLYNNE