pasting excel data in a powerpoint slide

  1. #1
    James
    Guest

    pasting excel data in a powerpoint slide

    I am attempting to paste an excel data table in a powerpoint slide but once
    pasted, the data is cut off. If I double click and enter the excel data
    table and resize the window from Powerpoint, the same data shown simply
    stretches to the new size. I have tried numerous ways of pasting from the
    excel sheet and it still acts the same. I tried a new workbook and was able
    to resize correctly. But to recreate all of the data and formulas in a
    different workbook would be difficult. Is there a setting or something in
    excel that is not allowing me to resize this particular workbook?

    Thanks ahead of time for your help!

  2. #2
    FuadsCurse
    Guest

    RE: pasting excel data in a powerpoint slide

    Select and Copy the data you want to appear in the PowerPoint slide.

    In PowerPoint select the slide you want to paste the data into, select Paste
    Special and then select 'Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object.'

    You will more than likely need to resize the pasted object.

    If you choose to use the object itself to resize, you MUST select a corner
    and drag it out to make it larger or in to make it smaller if you want to
    keep the proportions of the font, table, etc. the same. If you drag from the
    top/bottom/side, proportions will be changed.

    Alternatively, you can right-click the object and select Format Object from
    the menu that appears - this allows you to adjust size, color, position, etc.

    Paste Special also allows you to link the object so changes you make to the
    table will be automatically updated in your PowerPoint presentation. I have
    found this rather useful as management is forever making changes prior to the
    actual event.

    Good luck.

  3. #3
    James
    Guest

    RE: pasting excel data in a powerpoint slide

    I have done this and when I doubleclick I get to the "edit" window, expand
    the window to include the entire table and then click back into the
    powerpoint slide, the result is simply that the original data content
    stretches - it doesn't include the entire table - it just displays the same
    data just stretched longer. In the past, I've been able to accomplish this
    with no issues. But not this workbook - I wonder if there is a setting or
    something I have done to cause the window resizing not to work?

    Any other ideas?

  4. #4
    Paul D. Simon
    Guest

    Re: pasting excel data in a powerpoint slide

    Embedding an Excel worksheet into a PowerPoint slide and having it look
    the way you want hasn't always been easy.

    Here's what works best for me (although someone may have a better
    procedure):

    1.) In your slide, do the menu sequence Insert>Object.
    2.) With "Create New" chosen on the left, pick "Microsoft Excel
    Worksheet" from the list of Object Types and click OK.
    3.) This puts a blank worksheet into your slide that you can actually
    work on from within PowerPoint. (You'll notice that the menu and
    toolbars at the top are now Excel menus and toolbars.)
    4.) If you have already created your Excel worksheet in Excel, then
    open Excel and open that worksheet (but keep the slide created in step
    3 above open).
    5.) Highlight the area of the Excel worksheet that you want embedded in
    the slide.
    6.) Do Copy (either Ctrl+C or Edit>Copy).
    7.) Toggle back over to PowerPoint, click in the appropriate cell in
    the embedded blank worksheet created in step 3 above and do paste. (Do
    NOT click off that worksheet yet, however - keep it active).
    8.) You can now size that embedded worksheet to increase or decrease
    the number of visible rows and/or columns via the black handles.
    9.) To increase or decrease the number of visible rows, use the black
    handle at the bottom. To increase or decrease the number of visible
    columns, use the black handle on the right. (The black handle at the
    top can only be used to decrease rows, but not increase them.
    Likewise, the black handle on the left can only be used to decrease
    columns, not increase them.)
    10.) Once you've gotten the number of rows and columns the way you
    want, click off the worksheet (in other words, click in a blank area of
    the slide).
    11.) Your worksheet now becomes an object. If you click on it, white
    handles will appear, and you can drag and drop it anywhere you want on
    the screen.
    12.) While in this object mode, you can resize it as an object but not
    increase or decrease the number of visible rows or columns. (NOTE: to
    resize it proportionally, use only the white handles in the corners.
    Using the top or side handles will stretch or compress the object
    disproportionally.)
    13.) You may very well need to make it smaller if the number of rows
    and/or columns will not fit on the page. Once you make it smaller (or
    larger if you want, for that matter), get the object back to a
    worksheet to increase or decrease the number of visible rows and/or
    columns. Some trial and error with sizing the object using the white
    handles before increasing or decreasing rows/columns may be called for.
    14.) To get the object back to worksheet mode, right-click on it then
    choose Worksheet Object>Edit from the dropdown menu.
    ..
    I hope this helps - let me know.

    Paul

  5. #5
    Paul D. Simon
    Guest

    Re: pasting excel data in a powerpoint slide

    Just thought I'd better emphasize 2 points in the procedures I posted
    above.

    1.) The embedded Excel worksheet object can either have white handles
    or black handles.
    2.) To get white handles, SINGLE-click in the object. In this mode,
    you can move or size the object but not increase or decrease the number
    of rows or columns or edit the data.
    3.) To get black handles, DOUBLE-click in the object (or right-click on
    it then choose Worksheet Object>Edit from the dropdown menu). In this
    mode, you can increase or decrease the number of rows or columns
    (remember to use the handles at the bottom or right side only) or edit
    the data but you cannot size the object. (You can, however, move it
    but grabbing a non-handle part of the border and dragging the object.)