can't open files from floppy disk

  1. #1
    needar
    Guest

    can't open files from floppy disk

    I backed up my files to floppy disks and then clean installed Windows 2000
    over Win 98. The first two excel files on this disk will not open.
    I get an error message "<filename> cannot be accessed. The file may be
    reado-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the
    server the document is stored on may not be responding" The A drive makes a
    lot of "chunking" noise like it's trying to get the file for me. Checking
    the properties on the files they are marked Archive (not read-only). Any
    tips? I really need these files back...quickly. Thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    I'm afraid it sounds like the files may be corrupted on your floppy. I would try the disk in another computer to see if they can be read there.

    Good Luck.
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: can't open files from floppy disk

    Never, never work with an Excel (or any Office) file on a floppy. Copy the
    file to hard drive and try and open it there.

    If this fails use Google to search for software to open corrupted files - it
    will cost $

    best wishes

    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: can't open files from floppy disk

    Can you copy the files in Win Explorer - if so then by all means mail it to
    me and I'll try to recover it for you. Need to take the NOSPAM out of my
    email addy.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03