count if statement

  1. #1
    NYDIA
    Guest

    count if statement

    i have a spreadsheet that is used for a monthly
    attendance. There are codes (p=present, h=hospital stay
    etc). I want to create a formula that will count all the
    p's

    example
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 TOTAL
    john smith p p p p p p h h p p p h h h p p p p 10

    so john was in the program on 10 days of the 5

    can you help me with the formula? Any help is greatly
    appreciated

  2. #2
    Juan Pablo González
    Guest

    Re: count if statement

    Try with

    =COUNTIF(TheRange, "p")

    where TheRange is a reference to the range that contains the p's and h's.

    --
    Regards

    Juan Pablo González

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Guest

    Re: count if statement

    I put
    =3DCOUNTIF(D9:H9, "p")
    and it works, but the row may have several different=20
    codes, so i need it to be able to count whether its p or a=20
    or h

    =3Dcountif(d9:h9,"p", "a") doesnt work

    the p's and h's.

    >--=20
    >Regards
    >
    >Juan Pablo Gonz=E1lez
    >
    >"NYDIA" <[email protected]> wrote in=20

    message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> i have a spreadsheet that is used for a monthly
    >> attendance. There are codes (p=3Dpresent, h=3Dhospital stay
    >> etc). I want to create a formula that will count all=20

    the

  4. #4
    Nydia
    Guest

    Re: count if statement

    Sorry, my initial said only count the "P", but i know need=20
    it to count all the codes.

    a=20
    >or h
    >
    >=3Dcountif(d9:h9,"p", "a") doesnt work

    >>> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 =20

  5. #5
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: count if statement

    Do you need to count all the codes ... ONE AT A TIME ?

    You could try this:
    Enter in A1, A2, and A3:

    And in B1 enter:
    =COUNTIF($D$9:$H$9,A1)
    And drag down to copy to B3.
    This will give you *individual* counts of your codes.

    If, on the other hand, you want a cumulative count of *all* your codes, you
    could try this:

    =SUM(COUNTIF(D9:H9,{"P","H","A"}))
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    "Nydia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    Sorry, my initial said only count the "P", but i know need
    it to count all the codes.

    >>> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15