moving sum

  1. #1
    neda5
    Guest

    moving sum

    Hi,
    I have a list of monthly payments, and I want to create a column that sums
    those at the end of each year, six months or a quarter .
    EX:
    1 0
    1 0
    2 4
    4 0
    1 0
    1 6
    What formula should I use in the second column to have a sum at every
    12th,6th or 3rd row?
    Thanks. Neda

  2. #2
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: moving sum

    Assume your data begins in A1. In B3 use:

    =SUM(A1:A3)

    Select B1:B3, grab the fill handle, and fill down. This
    will sum every 3 rows. For every six rows, in B6 use:

    =SUM(A1:A6)

    Select B1:B6 and fill down. Same process for every 12
    rows.

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  3. #3
    neda5
    Guest

    Re: moving sum

    Thanks Jason, but the idea is to have one formula to paste and copy from
    begunning to end, since mu columns are couple of thousand rows long., and if
    I go and repaste it every six or so rows it takes forever.
    Neda

  4. #4
    neda5
    Guest

    Re: moving sum

    Got what you meant. It works fine. Thanks.