Problem opening Excel files from Windows Explorer

  1. #1
    aj
    Guest

    Problem opening Excel files from Windows Explorer

    Hi All,

    When I go to open up and Excel file from Windows Explorer by
    double-clicking it, a 1 is added to the filename. If I open the same
    file from within Excel itself there is no problem. Any ideas?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Rob van Gelder
    Guest

    Re: Problem opening Excel files from Windows Explorer

    From Windows Explorer's Tools menu | Folder Options | File Types
    Scroll to find XLS | Advanced
    Select Open then Edit

    Application used (for me running XL2003) is:
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /e

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Problem opening Excel files from Windows Explorer

    aj

    This kind of thing can happen when you double click on the fÂ*ile in windows
    explorer.

    From an earlier post from Dave Peterson that may help:

    It sounds like the default behavior when you double click onÂ* a .xls file is
    set to NEW, not OPEN.

    Try a test to verify:

    Right click on the file when you're in windows explorer.

    You should get a popup with a bunch of options. I get Open Â*and New right at
    the top of the list. Open is bolded which means that Open is thÂ*e default
    action when I double click on the file.

    If your default action is NEW, then windows will tell excel Â*to open it like a
    template. That's why you'd get the myname1 (with no extensiÂ*on).

    If your situation matches, this is what I'd do next (the easÂ*iest, I think).

    Close Excel and
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /unregserver then
    Windows Start Button|Run excel /regserver

    The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the windows regisÂ*try to excel's
    factory defaults.

    Now you could check by rightclicking again. If it looks good, try double
    clicking and see if it really worked!

    ==========
    Option 2. (A little more work.)

    I use windows98, so depending on your version of windows, itÂ* might not be
    quite the same--but it'll be pretty close.

    Close excel
    open Windows explorer (flying windows-E is a quick way)
    View|Folder Options|File Types
    Scroll down to Microsoft Excel Worksheet and select that
    Click the Edit button
    You'll see a list of Actions in a little box.
    Open should be the bold one (here, too!)

    If it's not, then click on Open and then click the "make defÂ*ault" button.

    (Ok your way out.)

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP