Color cells

  1. #1
    Mark Durrenberger
    Guest

    Color cells

    Hi, I'm working with the loan amortization template that is shipped with
    Excel 2002.

    The bacground on a number of cells are colored pale yellow.

    I don't know how to clear the color or change it. I've tried the paint
    bucket but that does not do it.
    I also cannot turn on gridlines.

    Thanks in advance,
    Mark

  2. #2
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Color cells

    That's because you're not supposed to. The yellow highlights the summary
    area and requires no user intervention. If you really want to change it you
    need to do Tools / Protection / Unprotect sheet (There is no password
    assigned). You will then find you can format as you wish.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Mark Durrenberger
    Guest

    Re: Color cells

    That was one of the first things I did, and I still can't change the
    cells...

    So no that's not it ????

    Mark

    Mark Durrenberger, PMP
    Principal, Oak Associates, Inc, www.oakinc.com
    "Advancing the Theory and Practice of Project Management"

    The nicest thing about NOT planning is that failure
    comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by
    a period of worry and depression.

    - Sir John Harvey-Jones
    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Color cells

    Well it certainly works on the standard template as I can do the same on
    either my work machine or my home one, and each have different Office
    installs on them.

    Were the sheets protected initially, and are you actually able to select the
    cells, just not format them?
    If you are able to select them then what do you see if you use Format /
    Cells / Patterns tab - Can you do anything with this - does it appear to let
    you and then just not take?

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:e1%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Color cells

    Assuming you haven't changed the structure of the template, try running this
    and let me know what happens:-

    Sub ColCells()

    With ActiveSheet
    Range("H6:H10").Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
    End With

  6. #6
    Mark Durrenberger
    Guest

    Re: Color cells

    I didn't run your macro, here is the file:

    http://www.durrenberger.com/playwiththis.xls

    Mark

  7. #7
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Color cells

    Ahhhhh - You're talking about the formatting on the rows below the summary
    data, whereas i am referring to the summary data itself. That is done with
    conditional formatting. Select the cells and do format / conditional
    formatting and simply delete the conditions.

  8. #8
    Mark Durrenberger
    Guest

    Re: Color cells