E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

  1. #1
    MrMan&Fam
    Guest

    E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    Say I have an Excel spreadsheet with one column of e-mail addresses. I want
    to send the same piece of e-mail (a WORD file) to each address. Is there an
    easy way?

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    Hi

    Try this one with the e-mail addresses in "Sheet1" column C
    Visit also my site for more examples

    Sub Mail_workbook_Outlook()
    Dim OutApp As Object
    Dim OutMail As Object
    Dim cell As Range
    Dim strto As String

    For Each cell In ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1") _
    .Columns("C").Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)
    If cell.Value Like "*@*" Then
    strto = strto & cell.Value & ";"
    End If
    Next
    strto = Left(strto, Len(strto) - 1)

    Set OutApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
    Set OutMail = OutApp.CreateItem(0)
    With OutMail
    .To = strto
    .CC = ""
    .BCC = ""
    .Subject = "This is the Subject line"
    .Body = "Hi there"
    .Attachments.Add ("C:\test.doc")
    .Send 'or use .Display
    End With
    Set OutMail = Nothing
    Set OutApp = Nothing

    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    See Ron de Bruin's site for his SendMail add-in.

    Excellent utility for your purpose.

    http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    MrMan&amp;Fam
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    Thanks so much for the prompt response. Your work looks brilliant but it's
    wasted on me. I don't know anything about programming or programming in
    Excel. I don't even know what to do with your program. However, if this is
    what it takes, I guess there's no easy way. Thanks, anyway.

  5. #5
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    Here we Go

    Only working if you use Outlook this example

    Open a new workbook
    Insert>Module from the menu bar
    Paste the sub in there
    Change the path/filename to the word Doc in the code
    Alt-Q to go back to Excel

    Now in the C column of "Sheet1" fill in your addresses
    Save the file

    If you do Alt-F8 you get a list of your macro's
    Select "Mail_workbook_Outlook" and press Run

    You can also use a cell in "Sheet1" with the path/filename to the word Doc
    if you want.(post back if you need help with that)

    For testing you can change .Send to .display in the code
    You can see how it look like and press the Send button manual then

  6. #6
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    LOL - it looks a lot scarier than it really is - try this for a step by step
    guide using Ron's code.

    Hit ALT+F11 and this will open the VBE (Visual Basic Editor)
    Top left you will hopefully see an explorer style pane. Within this pane
    you need to search for your workbook's name, and when you find it you may
    need to click on the + to expand it. Within that you should see the
    following:-

    VBAProject(Your_Filename)
    Microsoft Excel Objects
    Sheet1(Sheet1)
    Sheet2(Sheet2)
    Sheet3(Sheet3)
    ThisWorkbook

    If you have named your sheets then those names will appear in the brackets
    above as opposed to
    what you see at the moment in my note.

    Right click on the where it says VBAProject(Your_Filename) and choose
    'Insert Module' and it will now look like this

    VBAProject(Your_Filename)
    Microsoft Excel Objects
    Sheet1(Sheet1)
    Sheet2(Sheet2)
    Sheet3(Sheet3)
    ThisWorkbook
    Modules
    Module1

    Double click the Module1 bit and then paste in Ron's code starting at the
    Sub Mail_workbook_Outlook()
    bit and finishing at the End Sub bit.

[...]

    The ranges in Ron's code will likely need changing to suit your data, eg in
    the line that says

    For Each cell In ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1")

    you will need to either change the Sheet1 to the name of your sheet or vice
    versa. Also, Ron's code assumes the addresses are in Col C on that sheet,
    hence the line that says

    .Columns("C").Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)

    so if it's not Col C then just change the C to whatever it actually is in
    your sheet.

    Then hit File / Close and return to Microsoft Excel and save the file. Now
    just do Tools / Macro / Macros / Mail_workbook

    You can stop at that point, but if for any reason you then want to get rid
    of the macro, then simply do the following:-

    Hit ALT+F11 and this will open the VBE (Visual Basic Editor)
    Top left you will hopefully see an explorer style pane. Within this pane
    you need to search for
    your workbook's name, and when you find it you may need to click on the + to
    expand it. Within
    that you should see the following:-

    VBAProject(Your_Filename)
    Microsoft Excel Objects
    Sheet1(Sheet1)
    Sheet2(Sheet2)
    Sheet3(Sheet3)
    etc..........................
    ThisWorkbook
    Modules
    Module1

    Right click on the Module1 and select remove. When prompted with a question
    re exporting, just hit no. Then hit File / Close and return to Microsoft
    Excel and save the
    file.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    <snip>

  7. #7
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    Your English is much better Ken<g>

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  8. #8
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    LOL - But it's your code Ron, so hey, that's what teamwork is all about :-)

  9. #9
    MrMan&amp;Fam
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    I can NOT believe it! Without knowing what the hell I was doing, I followed
    your instructions and did (I believe) everything right. As a test, I created
    a NEW column "C" with only 3 e-mail addresses (all mine), I edited the
    attachment name, the "CC", all went well. I even got a message saying that
    "the computer is sending mail. This could be a virus..." BUT, it is only
    sending e-mail to the 1st address. It's listing all the other addresses in
    the "TO" section but it is not sending to the other addresses. Only the 1st
    one. Also, can I have it put only ONE ""TO" address and make a separate
    e-mail for each address (not putting them all on the "TO" section). Thanks.
    Great job!

  10. #10
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    Hi MrMan&Fam

    > it is only sending e-mail to the 1st address

    That's because they all yours and you will receive them.

    See this example on my website
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/folder2/files.htm

    It is bed time for me now ( 23:31) but is if you need help post back and I will help
    you tomorrow after work.

  11. #11
    MrMan&amp;Fam
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    You made it easy for even ME to do and I think I did it perfect (and I didn't
    have a clue as to what I was doing). The only problem is that it is sending
    to only the 1st e-mail address. The piece of e-mail has all the addresses,
    but Outlook is only sending to the frst one. Personally, I'd rather have ONE
    address per piece of e-mail (so that a column of 20 addresses will send 20
    pieces of e-mail, each with only one e-mail address. Thanks.

  12. #12
    MrMan&amp;Fam
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    Each of my three e-mail addresses is a different account with a different
    name. Thanks for your help. I'm in New York. It is 5:40 PM. Where are you??

  13. #13
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    Hi

    > Each of my three e-mail addresses is a different account with a different
    > name. Thanks for your help. I'm in New York. It is 5:40 PM. Where are you??

    It is working, disable one account and send the mail,you will get one mail.
    Enabled the other account and you will see you will receive a mail

    I live in the Netherlands in Europe

  14. #14
    MrMan&amp;amp;amp;Fam
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    You must be right. I found the 2nd of the 3 pieces of mail I sent myself
    later that evening. Later THIS evening I want to run the macro on a subset of
    the REAL list.

    What about my question regarding sending the same document to only ONE
    address at a time instead of the entire column? Among other things, some
    e-mail programs look at mail with multiple "TO" addresses as SPAM but I also
    don't want any of the recipients to know how many I'm sending out.

  15. #15
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    See the link I posted or use
    To for your own address and BCC for all other addresses

  16. #16
    MrMan&amp;amp;amp;Fam
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    Following the procedure I used with the 1st file you sent, I did the same
    with the second file (and I made a special spreadsheet with 3 columns. One
    for name...) yet I can't get the macro to show up when I click
    TOOLS-MACRO-MACRO in my special spreadsheet) so I can't run it. Why?

  17. #17
    MrMan&amp;amp;amp;Fam
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    Whenever I close up the spreadsheet with the macro I made with your help,
    when I go back to the spreadsheet again the macro is gone. I have to cut and
    paste all over again. Why?

  18. #18
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    You did save the workbook afterwards...

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  19. #19
    MrMan&amp;amp;amp;Fam
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    This might sound stupid to you but in fact, I did NOT. The spreadsheet has
    138 e-mail addresses and I did not want to send to all at once. So, I would
    clear contents from a group of e-mail address cells leaving only the group I
    wanted to mail to. Once I ran the macro, I closed the file DELIBERATELY
    without saving. This way, when I opened it again, ALL the addresses would be
    back on. Then I would clear contents of another group of cells in order to
    send to a different set of addresses, etc. SO, unless you save the
    spreadsheet, the macro doesn't get saved? Thanks.

  20. #20
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    I think you've got it!! Create your macro>save the workbook>run your macro
    and close without saving...

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
> [...]

    > > I followed

    > > test, I created

    > > edited the

    message
    > > saying that

    BUT, it
    > > is only

    other
    > > addresses in

    addresses.
    > > Only the 1st

    > > separate

    > > section). Thanks.

    > > the word Doc

    manual
    > > then

    > > message

    > > brilliant but it's

    > > programming in

    > > However, if this is

    anyway.

    column C

    > > ..Columns("C").Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)

    news:[email protected]...

  21. #21
    MrMan&amp;amp;amp;Fam
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    Yes! That's the solution! I would not have figured that out without your
    assistance. It got so that I cut and pasted the macro (with MY specifics)
    onto a Word file so I could cut and paste it into the VBE each time! When I
    read Ken Wright's instructions
    again (which are VERY clear), he tells me to save the spreadsheet!! Oh
    well!! Thanks for all your help and the help of all you gentlemen. The macro
    is AWESOME!

  22. #22
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    glad to help

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
> [...]

    > > "MrMan&Fam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > This might sound stupid to you but in fact, I did NOT. The spreadsheet

    has
    > > > 138 e-mail addresses and I did not want to send to all at once. So, I

    > > would
    > > > clear contents from a group of e-mail address cells leaving only the

    group
    > > > wanted to mail to. Once I ran the macro, I closed the file

    DELIBERATELY
    > > > without saving. This way, when I opened it again, ALL the addresses

    would
    > > be
    > > > back on. Then I would clear contents of another group of cells in

    order to
    > > > send to a different set of addresses, etc. SO, unless you save the
    > > > spreadsheet, the macro doesn't get saved? Thanks.

    news:[email protected]...

    looks

    or

    program.

    > > anyway.

    > > column C

    wrote

  23. #23
    MrMan&amp;Fam
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    When I try the second macro (i.e., the one that will send one email with 1
    address, I get the error "User defined type not defined" and this line is
    highlighted: "Dim Outapp as Outlook.Application". Any ideas? P.S. What does
    "Dim" mean? Thanks.

  24. #24
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    Hi MrMan&Fam

    You can read this on the webpage

    You must add a reference to the Microsoft outlook Library.

    1) Go to the VBA editor, Alt -F11
    2) Tools>References in the Menu bar
    3) Place a Checkmark before Microsoft Outlook ? Object Library
    ? is the Excel version number

  25. #25
    milos
    Guest

    Re: E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?

    Hi there, I'm using your code you posted here. And it works when tha data in
    column C are plain e-mail adresses. But problem is that my adresses in column
    C are "=concatenate(A1;B1)", so they are result of a formula. What should I
    change in the code to make it work? I'm not very familiar with VBA.
    Thanks.
    Milos

    Ron de Bruin pÃ*Å¡e: