Macro compatibility in xls2003

  1. #1
    Peter Andersen
    Guest

    Macro compatibility in xls2003

    I'm having trouble exporting data from a source program (SAP) to excel. It
    worked fine with the '97 version, but since we upgraded to '03, nothing
    happens.
    I'm not too experienced with scripts, but I'm told that the macro in the SAP
    program just might not work properly with xls2003.
    I can, however, export the data to word2003 and then to excel, but it's a
    frustrating process.
    Does anyone have experience with macros incompatability in excel 2003 /
    suggestions that may narrow down this issue?

    --
    ____________________

    Peter Andersen
    [email protected]
    ____________________

  2. #2
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Macro compatibility in xls2003

    The Excel Program versions have different file paths so if they have been
    hard coded into the SAP export routine then maybe it's just not finding
    excel, but to be honest I'd find that hard to believe of something like SAP.
    File formats in excel are all the same as they were in 97 so should be no
    issue there. Have you called the SAP folks, or tried their website for any
    compatibility issues?

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Peter Andersen
    Guest

    Re: Macro compatibility in xls2003

    It may be a feature added by our 'sub-provider', as it is a customised
    version of SAP we (amongst many others) are using. Perhaps I will need to
    ask them, but I just thought I'd like to explore the issue a little first.
    Maybe there was a 'simple' solution that I just hadden't thought of.

    --
    ____________________

    Peter Andersen
    [email protected]
    ____________________

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Macro compatibility in xls2003

    > It may be a feature added by our 'sub-provider', as it is a customised
    > version of SAP we (amongst many others) are using.

    Hmmmm - Now I'm leaning more to where I started from. That having been
    said, the sub provider should be your first port of call because they will
    likely have come across this already.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    <snip>

  5. #5
    Peter Andersen
    Guest

    Re: Macro compatibility in xls2003

    I'll do that, although xls03 doesn't seem to be that widespread in the
    danish public administration just yet.
    Thank you for your time.
    --
    ____________________

    Peter Andersen
    [email protected]
    ____________________

    news:uZkfsK%[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Macro compatibility in xls2003

    Peter

    Your last point has made me think... Danish public administration.... this
    could be a locale issue. Versions of Excel before XP 2002 were awful at
    handling anything other than US locale.

    You could find that as excel 2003 is much better when it comes to locale,
    that any code written to fix Excel's inadequacies in earlier versions is now
    clashing with Excel's corrected set-up.

    You may be able to fake this by setting control panel to US and see if that
    works...even if it doesn't I would suspect any locale code in the macros.

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    [email protected]HIS

  7. #7
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Macro compatibility in xls2003

    And to be honest it wouldn't matter if it were widespread or not, because it
    would only take one - they'd be straight onto the supplier - Of course, it
    could be that you are 'the one' :-)

  8. #8
    Peter Andersen
    Guest

    Re: Macro compatibility in xls2003

    That really does sound very plausible. I'll give it a try when I get back to
    work in the morning. Thanks.
    --
    ____________________

    Peter Andersen
    [email protected]
    ____________________

    news:eZvxNV%[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Peter Andersen
    Guest

    Re: Macro compatibility in xls2003

    I think Nick may be on to something, but we recently were shifted to a
    citrix solution, so I'm somewhat used to irrgularities. When something
    doesn't work, the citrix often end up taking the blame, although I never
    suspectec that was the case here.
    --
    ____________________

    Peter Andersen
    [email protected]
    ____________________

    news:u5zfba%[email protected]...

  10. #10
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Macro compatibility in xls2003

    Do let us know please, it all helps for someone else that may search the
    groups for this issue.

  11. #11
    Peter Andersen
    Guest

    Re: Macro compatibility in xls2003

    Well, they solved my problem, but I didn't learn much.

    In the SAP table I should select "show print" before exporting the data,
    which made it work.
    They suggested, that it 'might' be a security matter in the excel macro
    settings. However, setting it to 'low' made no difference..

    FYI: the functionality that failed (and still fails), tries to open the
    worksheet 'inside' the SAP program, like it would in a web-browser. The
    solution I was offered opens the worksheet in excel as if I had opened a
    file from the desktop. (Though the 'save as' button said 'save copy as', and
    the SAP automatic closes the worksheet when you proceed in the SAP.

    But it worked.
    --

    Peter Andersen
    [email protected]

    news:uotFDi%[email protected]...

  12. #12
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Macro compatibility in xls2003

    Cheers Peter - not ideal, but certainly better than not working at all. :-)