Can you sort text in a random order in Excel

  1. #1
    tbowden
    Guest

    Can you sort text in a random order in Excel

    I'm fairly new to excel and trying to figure out if I can sort a column of
    text in a random order. Any information would be appreicated

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Can you sort text in a random order in Excel

    tbowden,

    If you insert a column, and fill it with formulas

    =RAND()

    to match your text, then select and sort both the text and the formulas
    based on the formula, you will have randomized your text.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Can you sort text in a random order in Excel

    Hi

    generally the way to do this is to use another column as a "helper" column
    and put a function in this column to generate random numbers and then sort
    by this column.

    to do this, choose a column adjacent to your data an in the first cell type
    =ROUND(RAND()*1000,0)
    now double click on the little fill handle (+) bottom right of cell to copy
    the formula down the column
    select this column - choose copy, edit / paste special - values OK
    to change the formula into values
    Now click in one cell only, choose data / sort - ensure that the correct
    range has been highlighted and choose to sort on this column of numbers -
    either ascending or descending.

    You can then delete the column of numbers if you like.

    Cheers
    JulieD

  4. #4
    Bernd Plumhoff
    Guest

    Re: Can you sort text in a random order in Excel

    If you have 8 texts in cells A1:A8 you can select cells
    B1:B8, enter

    =INDEX(A1:A8,UniqRandInt(COUNTIF(A1:A8,"<>"""""),FALSE))

    (as array formula, enter with CTRL+SHIFT+RETURN), for
    example.

    You will find the function UniqRandInt() at
    www.sulprobil.com. Copy its text, press ALT+F11, insert a
    module, then paste the copied vba function text. That's
    it, I hope.

    HTH,
    Bernd