Document already opened in excel

  1. #1
    Hday
    Guest

    Document already opened in excel

    Hi hope somebody can help me.
    I have created and saved a spreadsheet to the desktop.
    Whenever I try to open this sheet from the desktop, I get the message" A
    document with the name "Mysheet.xls" is already open. You cannot open two
    documents with the same name, even if the documents are in different folders.
    To open th second document, either close the document thay's currently open,
    or rename one of the document.
    I have done all this, but to no avail. If I open Excel first then open the
    spreadsheet all is fine. I just cannot open straight from the desktop. Can
    anybody help please.
    Reagrds.
    Hday

  2. #2
    Kanneily
    Guest

    RE: Document already opened in excel

    Hi Hday, sounds as if, when you save the sheet to your desktop you didnt give
    it another name. Try right click and then rename - just add a 1 - should be
    ok i hope!
    Kanneily

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Document already opened in excel

    Hday

    Try the usual fix(es) for this problem.

    Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
    Exit Excel and try again

    If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

    Close Excel first and
    On the Windows Taskbar

    1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK.
    2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.
    See the space between exe and /regserver

    You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
    In that case Start>Run "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP