Average If

  1. #1
    Denise
    Guest

    Average If

    Sorry for reposting this...

    I need a formula to figure the average in one column if for a specific
    person in another. There are about 2500 entries for each sheet. I need to
    know the average with time for Smith, Samsone, etc. without having to sort by
    physician.
    Thanks.

    ER MD WAIT TIME TO SEE PHYSICIAN
    smith 0:15
    samsone 0:21
    terry n/a
    terry 0:43
    hanson 0:25
    smith 0:18
    terry n/a
    samsone 0:31

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: Average If

    =AVERAGE(IF(NAme_Range="Smith",Time_Range))

    array entered ctrl + shift & enter

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  3. #3
    Denise
    Guest

    RE: Average If

    I get the error #NUM! when I use this formula.

    What am I doing wrong?

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: Average If

    Did you enter it with ctrl + shift & enter or does any of your ranges include
    a #NUM! error or are you using the whole range like A:A? My guess the last
    one, if so change the range to something less like A2:A5000..

    This formula should yield the same result,

    =SUMIF(Name_Range,"Smith",Time_Range)/COUNTIF(Name_Range,"Smith")

    also a good idea is to replace the hard coded names (Smith) with a cell
    where you would put the names, that way you won't have to edit the formula
    again

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  5. #5
    Denise
    Guest

    RE: Average If

    I tried the SUMIF formula and it worked!! THANK YOU!!!