Pull unique names for drop down list

  1. #1

    Pull unique names for drop down list

    I have a list of about 50 people's names associated with data. Some of
    the names are repeated up to five times. I'd like to creat a drop down
    list so that a person can pick their name from the drop down list and
    their data will be highlighted. The problems is that I would like to
    take my large data list and somehow convert it into a down list with
    having all the repeated names, just list one name per instance. Is
    there a convenient way to do this?

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Pull unique names for drop down list

    You can use an AutoFilter to display the data for the selected name.
    There are instructions in Excel's Help, and here:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3

    Re: Pull unique names for drop down list

    Debra - Thanks for the response. I don't think Autofilter would work
    for this application. I didn't specify on my original post but the
    original data with the multiple names is different than the data that I
    would like to reference in a drop down list. The original list has a
    name and a certain number. The number associated with the names places
    that name in a predetermined position in a chart (multiple positions
    when there are multiple names). I'd like the people to select their
    name from the drop down, which would key Conditional Formatting to
    highlight each spot in the chart where that name appears.
    This list is only 50 names or so long so it would not be so hard to
    manually remove the duplicate names for the drop down reference but I
    have encountered this problem with much larger data sets with no
    solution. I was hoping to figure something out on this small scale that
    I could apply in the future on a larger scale.

  4. #4
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: Pull unique names for drop down list

    With names in A1:A50, put this in B1, press
    ctrl/shift/enter, and fill down to row 50:

    =INDEX($A$1:$A$50,SMALL(IF(ROW($A$1:$A$50)=MATCH
    ($A$1:$A$50,$A$1:$A$50,0),ROW($A$1:$A$50)),ROW()))

    You can now create your drop-down list (say in C1).
    Select C1, go to Data > Validation, choose "List"
    under "Allow:" and under "Source:" put:

    =OFFSET(B1,,,COUNTIF(B:B,"*"))

    HTH
    Jason