black dots at begnning of some cells

  1. #1
    jenn
    Guest

    black dots at begnning of some cells

    Hi,
    When my supervisor creates spread sheets and sends them to me some of the
    cells have a little black dot at the beginning of the cell. It is right at
    the beginning and not a perfect circle and it is touching the left line of
    the cell.... what is it... more importantly... How do I get rid of them?

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: black dots at begnning of some cells

    jenn

    Perhaps they are inserted "bullets" from him entering ALT + 0149(Arial font)
    or ALT + 0108(Wingdings font).

    To see what they are, delete all but the character from the cell then in an
    adjacent cell enter

    =CODE(cellref) to get a number.

    If you know the number you can Edit>Replace

    what: ALT + 0149(example only)

    with: nothing

    NOTE: the number 0149 must be typed on the NumPad at right side of keyboard.

    If no joy, download Chip Pearson's Cellview add-in to see what's in there.

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  3. #3
    jenn
    Guest

    Re: black dots at begnning of some cells

    they are not bullets... they aren't even perfect circles or squares. They are
    sort of fuzzy, az well. I download the cell view as you suggested and there
    is nothing in the cell... it's just crazy

  4. #4

    Re: black dots at begnning of some cells

    How about a leader (like in a table of contents)?

    Select an offending cell
    format|cells|number tab
    Do you see something like:

    *.@
    in the Type box (where you specify your custom number format)?

    The asterisk says to repeat the next character (dot in my case) until you get to
    the value in the cell.

    (Works nicely when the cell is right justified and the cell is wide enough.)

    But with nothing (not even a space), I don't see the leaders.

    (You don't have any pictures floating above that cell, do you?)

  5. #5
    jenn
    Guest

    Re: black dots at begnning of some cells

    there are not pictures or triangle note marks or anything... when I tried
    your suggestion there was nothing in the 'preview' box...

  6. #6
    jenn
    Guest

    Re: black dots at begnning of some cells

    tried your suggestion... there is nothing in the 'sample; box or the cell,
    but this funny little black fussy dot...

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007
    Hi!

    Is it possible it could be an apostrophe (or single inverted comma)? They sometimes get in and make numbers look like text, for example. If you type 2 apostrophes in a cell, one will show and you can compare the result - which will vary according to font.

    Alf

  8. #8
    jenn
    Guest

    Re: black dots at begnning of some cells

    If I copy the offending cell to a clean cell... it copies the dot. If I copy
    a clean cell into the offending cell it stays.

  9. #9
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: black dots at begnning of some cells

    Could they be error indicators?

    Choose Tools>Options
    On the Error Checking tab, remove the check mark from
    'Enable background error checking'
    Click OK

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  10. #10

  11. #11

  12. #12
    jenn
    Guest

    Re: black dots at begnning of some cells

    If I delete is stays... if I type other characters it stays

  13. #13

    Re: black dots at begnning of some cells

    and if you set the format to General, what happens?

    (a rewording of a previous check)

  14. #14
    jenn
    Guest

    Re: black dots at begnning of some cells

    it is already set to general. I put it to number and then back to general and
    still... the elusive black dot.

  15. #15

    Re: black dots at begnning of some cells

    Can you copy that cell to a worksheet in a new workbook -- a single cell
    worksheet?

    If it still shows the trouble there, if you want you can send that very small
    workbook to me (not the group!).

  16. #16
    Forum Contributor
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007
    Hi!

    Funny one (as in funny peculiar).

    Nobody seems to have got near the solution yet.
    But what about the cause? This only comes from your supervisor?
    What does your supervisor say on the subject?
    Does it happen to him/her locally?
    Does it happen to other people he/she supervises and communicates with?

    Alf

  17. #17
    Edmonton, Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003, 2007, 2010

    Re: black dots at begnning of some cells

    This might be a bit late but I stumbled across the same problem (excel 2010, but I would imagine it is the same in 2007) and found that it was a conditional formatting issue. Within the rule description there is a format style called Icon Sets where you can choose colored stop light dots, directional arrows, and many more including the black fuzzy dot depending on the value of the cell.

    Kent