Help required to automate calculation

  1. #1
    Tom
    Guest

    Help required to automate calculation

    Not sure if there is a quick fix for this. I do not do much work with Excel
    so I cannot help the user.

    Our company manufactures rectangular tubes from a variety of materials
    including glass fibre and resin-impregnated cotton and paper. The material
    required is wrapped around a template (known as a mandrel) of the right
    inner size. This is then baked in an industrial oven, and the mandrel
    removed when it is cooled, resulting in the final product.

    The problem we have is knowing which mandrel, or combinations of mandrels to
    use, in order to get the right template size. We have over 400 different
    mandrel sizes, and a varying quantity of each. However, we are regularly
    asked for a size of tube where we have to combine several mandrels to get
    the nearest fit.

    For example, if we are asked for a tube measuring 72cm wide by 40cm high, we
    may have to use for mandrels (two on top of another two) in order to meet
    the requirement, such as

    lower level: 25cm high x 30cm wide, next to 20cm high x 37cm wide
    upper level: 15cm high x 35cm wide, next to 20cm high x 37cm wide

    This will give a 'nearest match'.

    The mandrel data is stored in an Excel spreadsheet, with the columns as
    follows

    col 1: Width
    col 2: Height
    col 3: Number of mandrels of this size

    Our problems are as follows.

    1). It can take literally hours to calculate manually which mandrels to use
    to get the nearest match
    2). We may get a problem where two or more mandrels of the same size are
    needed but we do not have enough of them.

    Can any of you Excel experts think of an automated method for calculating
    the best combination of mandrels required to achieve the nearest match,
    taking into account the number of mandrels available for each size?

    Please remember that I am not an Excel expert, never having written an Excel
    macro, although I do know a reasonable amount about MS Access (not including
    VBA).

    Regards

    Tom

  2. #2
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: Help required to automate calculation

    Tom
    That sounds like a puzzle and I'm into puzzles. If you wish, send me a
    file with your listing of mandrels as you describe.
    But I also need for you to send me some examples and solutions to these
    examples. In other words, give me a size that you might need, then give me
    what you consider to be an acceptable solution for that need. Give me
    several examples. You could use some previous jobs that you have done.
    You use the term "nearest match". That is a wide-open deep hole and I
    can't work with that, unless you truly mean that any degree of "close" is
    acceptable if it is the closest match possible given the restraints you
    describe. In other words, I can see where a 1 unit (of measure) miss is
    acceptable for one job and a 10 units miss is acceptable for another job, if
    in both cases that is as close as one can get. Is that correct?
    My email address is [email protected]. Remove the "nop" from this
    address. HTH Otto
    news:[email protected]...