highlighting cells which have dates later than...

  1. #1
    Rory Carroll
    Guest

    highlighting cells which have dates later than...

    I would like to highlight date cells in a different color which occur for
    example after 1/1/2000.

    The dates will be all on a colum, some before 1/1/2000 and some after.

    In addition to just highlighting the cell itself, is there a way to
    highlight adjacent cells.

    Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

    Regards, Rory

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: highlighting cells which have dates later than...

    Use format>conditional formatting (after selecting the cell(s)), formula is
    and

    =A1>DATE(2000,1,1)

    click the format button the change the format
    to include adjacent cells refer to the same formula but use absolute
    references =$A$1>DATE(2000,1,1)

    where in this case A1 would be the cell you want to highlight

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  3. #3
    Rory Carroll
    Guest

    RE: highlighting cells which have dates later than...

    No joy,

    This is what I did.

    -Highlighted the column (don't think this is necessary)
    -clicked fotmat, conditional format
    -in condition 1 I selected "formula is"
    -Used the cell selection too to select which cells to use (in my case :
    "=$D$3:$D$17")
    -clicked the same button again (to signal my selection end)
    -put in ">DATE(2004,7,1)" to give me the line "=$D$3:$D$17>DATE(2004,7,1)"
    -clicked format and gave it a color

    The cells containg information like this:
    Sep 1 2004 4:57AM
    Sep 2 2004 3:59AM
    Jun 28 2004 8:16AM
    ....etc

    So I expected the sep cells to be highlighted.

    Thanks for your input

    Rory

  4. #4
    Detroit, MI
    Instead of selecting all the data or the entire column first, just select the first date in the column. Click on Format>Conditional Formatting. Select "Formula is:" and then manually enter the same cell without the $. In other words use relative referencing. Enter the rest of the formula: ">Date(2004,1,1)" and select the format. Click on Okay and then click on the format painter and "paint" the rest of the dates in the column. Also, if the formula has " marks, delete them.

    To cause other cells in the row to respond then add $ back into the formula for the column reference only ($A1).
    Neopolitan (Florida Dreaming)

  5. #5

    Re: highlighting cells which have dates later than...

    Highlight D3:D17 and with the activecell in D3
    use Peo's formula (slightly modified)

    =D3>DATE(2000,1,1)

    Excel will adjust the formula for each cell in the selection.

  6. #6
    Rory Carroll
    Guest

    Re: highlighting cells which have dates later than...

    No Joy.

    Could it be that it doesn't understand the cell as "Sep 1 2004 4:57AM"
    (without the quotes)?

    what I did:
    -selected cells D3 down as far as D17 (D3 is shown in the menu bar
    (activecell I guess))
    -went to format, conditional formatting
    -put in the formula =D3>DATE(2004,7,1)
    -changed the format to bold
    -clicked ok
    -expected the cell Jun 28 2004 8:16AM to not be in bold, but all the cells
    were in bold

    here is the colum D from row 3 to 17

    Sep 3 2004 12:15AM
    Sep 3 2004 3:55AM
    Sep 1 2004 4:57AM
    Sep 2 2004 3:59AM
    Sep 3 2004 8:45AM
    Sep 1 2004 1:21AM
    Jun 28 2004 8:16AM
    Sep 3 2004 6:42AM
    Sep 5 2004 1:14PM
    Aug 13 2004 5:29AM
    Sep 2 2004 8:48AM
    Sep 3 2004 5:58AM
    Aug 3 2004 12:49AM
    Sep 3 2004 6:02AM
    Sep 3 2004 12:22PM

    Thanks,

    Rory

  7. #7
    Rory Carroll
    Guest

    Re: highlighting cells which have dates later than...

    Ok, I'm almost sure that the data there is not in date format, that it has
    been pulled from data (ie sept is sep, then there is the two spaces after it.
    I'm posting a new post in programming)

    I'll now need to change sep 1 2004 6:42AM
    1/9/2004

    I'll need a macro or something?

    regards, Rory

  8. #8

    Re: highlighting cells which have dates later than...

    Maybe.

    But I'd try this first.

    Are all those "dates" in one column?
    And do you need to keep the time portion?

    If yes, then insert a new column to the right of that date column.
    select the date column
    data|text to columns
    fixedwidth and erase any lines that excel guessed
    But put a line in front of the time

    Tell the wizard that the first portion is a date (mdy) and the second portion is
    general.

    Plop the results in the original column and the new column to the right.

    But the times aren't times yet.

    select that times column
    edit|replace
    what: AM (just AM--nothing else)
    with: _AM (underscore represents a spacebar)
    replace all

    do the same with PM to _PM (SpaceBar PM)

    And format your dates & times the way you want.

    If you don't need the time, then tell the wizard to skip (do not import) that
    field.