vertical side-by-side view

  1. #1

    vertical side-by-side view

    Under the Window menu, I choose to compare files side by side. It presents
    them to me, however, one on top of the other. They scroll synchronously,
    which is very nice. How do I view them side by side? Vertically? As side
    by side really signifies. ARGH!

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    I don't know what version of Excel you are using, but in 2003, under Window is an option "Split".

    It breaks the window into 4 sections. Simply click and drag the horizontal bar to the top (or bottom), it will disappear, leaving two side-by-side (vertical) windows that scroll up and down together, yet you can scroll side-to-side independantly.

    HTH
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: vertical side-by-side view

    With both files open........Window>New Window.

    Now....Window>Arrange>Vertical to get them side by side.

    If you already have two windows, skip the New Window part.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Sunnyvale
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: vertical side-by-side view

    First open the workbooks you wish to compare. Use the compare side by side from the windows menu, the worksheets will look like as if "Arrange Horizontal" were applied to them.

    What I did was after using the compare side by side, I then grabbed each individual worksheet at the lower right corner (re-size I believe) and simply pulled them into a shape that arranged them vertically. I am still able to "synchronous scrolling" either with mouse wheel or Page up Page down.

    See if this works for you!
    Last edited by XPPower990; 01-18-2012 at 08:15 PM.

  5. #5
    Sunnyvale
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Red face Re: vertical side-by-side view

    I mentioned left corner to re-size - should be right corner to re-size..... then drag worksheets to desired shape/location in Excel