Automatically number multiple sheets

  1. #1
    itguyintrainin
    Guest

    Automatically number multiple sheets

    I am trying to automatically number 35 sheets within the same workbook, using
    the header/footer custom option. I am unable to get each tab to see one
    another and sucessfully number each tab (sheet) within the workbook. It will
    start to number a few, then the formatting will stop. I am running Office XP
    SP3, on XP SP2. All help greatly appreciated.

  2. #2

    Re: Automatically number multiple sheets

    Not quite sure what you're doing, but maybe you could use a macro:

    Option Explicit
    Sub testme01()

    Dim iCtr As Long

    For iCtr = 1 To Worksheets.Count
    With Worksheets(iCtr).PageSetup
    .LeftHeader = "Number: " & Format(iCtr, "000")
    End With
    Next iCtr
    End Sub

    I'd record one when I did the page setup manually for one page and then try to
    generalize it and cycle through the worksheets.

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Automatically number multiple sheets

    Your post is confusing.

    Headers and footers options do not number worksheets.

    They number printed pages.

    To consecutively number printed pages from all 35 worksheets if you're
    printing, select all sheets by right-clicking on a tab and "select all
    sheets".

    Print as one job under "selected sheet(s)".

    What is it you want to do exactly?

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    itguyintrainin
    Guest

    "Gord Dibben" wrote:

    > Your post is confusing.
    >
    > Headers and footers options do not number worksheets.
    >
    > They number printed pages.
    >
    > To consecutively number printed pages from all 35 worksheets if you're
    > printing, select all sheets by right-clicking on a tab and "select all
    > sheets".
    >
    > Print as one job under "selected sheet(s)".
    >
    > What is it you want to do exactly?
    >

    > Gord Dibben Excel MVP
    >
    > On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 12:31:02 -0800, "itguyintrainin"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I am trying to automatically number 35 sheets within the same workbook, using
    > >the header/footer custom option. I am unable to get each tab to see one
    > >another and sucessfully number each tab (sheet) within the workbook. It will
    > >start to number a few, then the formatting will stop. I am running Office XP
    > >SP3, on XP SP2. All help greatly appreciated.

    Its not what I want to do but what my boss wants to do. If you were to look
    under print prieview, he wants to see page 1 of x in the lower right-hand
    corner for each sheet. He wants it to be done automatically and doesn't want
    it typed in manually. Printing is not the issue, but inevitably it will show
    up on the pages once they are printed. Does that make more sense, or have I
    further confused the issue?

  5. #5

    Re: Automatically number multiple sheets

    If you print the workbook--not just a worksheet...

    File|print|Check entire workbook (with the appropriate header/footer in each
    worksheet).

    Or even select/group the sheets you want.
    click on the first and ctrl-click on subsequent.

    Then print those selected sheets (again with the header/footer set up nicely).

    If you group your sheets, you can fix the header/footer in one fell swoop.

    But if you group the sheets, remember to ungroup them. Anything you do to one
    of the group, you do to each in the group.