how can I count distinct names in an excel list?

  1. #1
    RPC@Frito
    Guest

    how can I count distinct names in an excel list?

    I'm using Excel 97 and have a list of names. The entire list is 22,000 rows
    or so, and all the names in the list are repeated numerous times (it's
    downloaded data). I don't want to delete all the duplicates but want to be
    able to count how many distinct names there are in the list.

    Any solutions out there?

    Thx.

  2. #2
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: how can I count distinct names in an excel list?

    Here is one way,

    =COUNT(IF(FREQUENCY(A:A,A:A),1))
    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: how can I count distinct names in an excel list?

    Easiest would be to use data>filter>advanced filter, copy to another
    location and unique records only, then count the extracted list

    =COUNTA(extracted_range)

    or use a formula

    =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A22000<>"")/COUNTIF(A1:A22000,A1:A22000&""))

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: how can I count distinct names in an excel list?

    Paul

    This is the second time you have posted this formula in two days.

    Have you tried it on any column of data other than numerics?

    Returns 0 for me and the Help states it won't work on blanks or text cells.

    Frito

    Suggest you look at Chip Pearson's site......

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplic...CountingUnique

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: how can I count distinct names in an excel list?

    Gord, sorry did not check it on text, but it looks like it does work over a
    range with blank cells, on numerics.

    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: how can I count distinct names in an excel list?

    Paul

    Correct. Does work with blanks it the range. My bad.

    Gord