Excel.xlb in a different location?

  1. #1
    StargateFan
    Guest

    Excel.xlb in a different location?

    Is there a way, like in Word, to point Excel to a different location
    fot the Excel.xlb? I've managed to figure out how to get it to look
    for the templates in a different folder since at the office, for the
    first time, I'm using the network folder as the default folder. But
    can't figure out how to get it to read my toolbar other than on the
    default location on the C drive.

    They keep moving me around in this job, so it's just going to be
    easier to always have it set for the network folder.

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Re: Excel.xlb in a different location?

    Maybe this'll work for you:

    XL97: How to Use a Toolbar Settings File from
    a Network Share

    It was written for xl97, so you'll have to do some changes.

    (I've never tried this.)

    Good luck,

  3. #3
    StargateFan
    Guest

    Re: Excel.xlb in a different location?

    Thanks for the info, Dave; much appreciated!

    The trouble with this new contract is that they've blocked the
    registry and most of the files of on the C drive from modification.
    One simply cannot add/modify/delete info from most of the folders and
    from the registry. I don't know what I did but kept fiddling with the
    settings in Word and then again in Excel (as Word governs some of the
    files locations, as you all probably know) and now it seems to be that
    my Excel.xlb is being read. Go figure. I'll take a look a few times
    over the next few days or weeks till I figure out what I did right,
    but fortunately for me, it seems to be working. Thank goodness due to
    the restrictions at this contract because the method on this webpage
    you so kindly provide wouldn't have worked as it requires a registry
    edit. I would have had to put up with having to keep coyping my
    Excel.xlb again to any C drive of a PC wherever they put me. So it's
    turning out to be handy to use my own network drive as wherever I go,
    I have most of my settings. I don't usu. like this approach and much
    prefer keeping all this type of stuff on the hdd, but since they keep
    moving me around, this is a good thing to be able to do.

    Thanks once again. Keeping this info for use in the future.

    Cheers!