Closed Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2

How to Stop AutoOpening of XLS (Of2003) inside IE

  1. #1
    s00t00
    Guest

    How to Stop AutoOpening of XLS (Of2003) inside IE

    How to Stop AutoOpening of XLS (Of2003) inside IE

    I have installed XP SP2 and Office 2003 Pro, both fully
    updated via WindowsUpdate and OfficeUpdate.

    Whenever I click a link that will kick off an Excel
    file (XLS), I do not get the option to Open or Save, it
    automatically opens the file inside an IE window.

    1. How can I restore the option of Open or Save? I do
    not want it to automatically open it inside IE. I
    want to save it to the disk so I can open it inside
    Excel or import it into Access.

    2. When IE currently opens the XLS file, I go to the
    View-Toolbars and select Standard so I can select
    the PrintPreview icon (since IE does not provide it
    when opening the XLS). However, when I select the
    PrintPreview icon, nothing happens. I can select
    it again and again, and nothing still happens.

    I performed a repair on the Office 2003 installation,
    and it still behaves as such. For #1 above, I tried
    going to Explorer, Folder Options-File Types,
    selecting the XLS extension and then unchecking the
    "Confirm open after download" but it still auto-opens
    the file inside an IE window.

    Any thought(s)?

    I will be posting in both the Excel and IE forums as
    it a bit of both.

  2. #2

    Re: How to Stop AutoOpening of XLS (Of2003) inside IE

    maybe...

    How to Configure Internet Explorer to Open Office
    Documents in the Appropriate Office Program Instead of in Internet Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=162059

    s00t00 wrote:

    > How to Stop AutoOpening of XLS (Of2003) inside IE
    >
    > I have installed XP SP2 and Office 2003 Pro, both fully
    > updated via WindowsUpdate and OfficeUpdate.
    >
    > Whenever I click a link that will kick off an Excel
    > file (XLS), I do not get the option to Open or Save, it
    > automatically opens the file inside an IE window.
    >
    > 1. How can I restore the option of Open or Save? I do
    > not want it to automatically open it inside IE. I
    > want to save it to the disk so I can open it inside
    > Excel or import it into Access.
    >
    > 2. When IE currently opens the XLS file, I go to the
    > View-Toolbars and select Standard so I can select
    > the PrintPreview icon (since IE does not provide it
    > when opening the XLS). However, when I select the
    > PrintPreview icon, nothing happens. I can select
    > it again and again, and nothing still happens.
    >
    > I performed a repair on the Office 2003 installation,
    > and it still behaves as such. For #1 above, I tried
    > going to Explorer, Folder Options-File Types,
    > selecting the XLS extension and then unchecking the
    > "Confirm open after download" but it still auto-opens
    > the file inside an IE window.
    >
    > Any thought(s)?
    >
    > I will be posting in both the Excel and IE forums as
    > it a bit of both.

Closed Thread