Unable to open saved workbook

  1. #1
    CVS
    Guest

    Unable to open saved workbook

    Apparently Excel lets you save workbooks that can't be opened. After saving
    my work and copying the 6.5meg file to another network location, I found
    that Excel crashed when attempting to re-open the file (Excel has generated
    errors and needs to close...). This happened on several computers. Finally,
    another machine was able to open the file (on its second attempt). I
    re-saved the file under another name and it ended up 1meg larger in size.
    The workbook has about 10 sheets with lots of charts... Any ideas?
    Everyone said, "Don't you have a backup?!" Of course the backups won't open
    either.

  2. #2
    Peter
    Guest

    RE: Unable to open saved workbook

    Not sure if this will help..

    But I had a similar problem a few months ago, and it turned out to be
    settings for Excel that were doing it.

    Open Tools/Options and have a look at the settings on each machine.

    Regards
    Peter

  3. #3
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Unable to open saved workbook

    Workbook sounds like it is corrupt - It happens, hence the need for backups.
    Not good that the backups don't open though. You don't mention what version
    of Excel but i'm guessing 97 or 2000. Even managing to get it open and then
    saving as another name isn't really going to help you there, because if the
    file has problems you either need to fix them if possible or recreate the
    workbook. All you are likely to have done is take the problems with you.

    2002/3 each have options that may allow you to recover and repair the
    workbook. Do you have access to these versions anywhere? If not, and you
    want to zip the file and sent it to me I can have a go at doing that for
    you. Would need to take the NOSPAM out of my email address.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Charles V. Stancampiano
    Guest

    Re: Unable to open saved workbook

    Hi,
    Thanks for your offer. I have Office XP at home. Should that work?
    Charlie

  5. #5
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Unable to open saved workbook

    Should do - Hit File / Open, and then on the Open button the dialog box you
    will see a dropdown arrow. Click on that and choose 'Open and Repair'

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...