Show values from non-subtotaled columns when doing a sub-total?

  1. #1
    Jim
    Guest

    Show values from non-subtotaled columns when doing a sub-total?

    I am trying to have Excel carry values from non-subtotaled cloumns to show up
    on the subtotal row.

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Show values from non-subtotaled columns when doing a sub-total?

    What values are you trying to show?

    Instead of subtotals, you may find it easier, and more flexible, to use
    a Pivot Table to summarize the data. There are instructions in Excel's
    Help, and Jon Peltier has information and links:

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Jim
    Guest

    Re: Show values from non-subtotaled columns when doing a sub-total

    I am trying to show the value of the data on the row above the subtotal line.
    Basically the information used to separate the various lines of data. More
    than the one reference used to differentiate the data.

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Show values from non-subtotaled columns when doing a sub-total

    There's nothing built in that will show additional data in the subtotal
    row. You could manually or programmatically add a formula to the
    subtotal row, referencing the cell above.

  5. #5

    Re: Show values from non-subtotaled columns when doing a sub-total

    How did you get the subtotals?

    If you got them via data|subtotal, then you have outlining symbols to the left.

    Hide all those detail rows--leaving only the subtotals.

    Select those cells you want to add the info to.
    But then Edit|goto|special|visible cells only

    Say the cell that's active is now B12
    type this formula
    =b11
    (the cell right above)
    and hit ctrl-enter to fill all the selected cells with a similar formula.

    But you still may want to take a look at that pivottable stuff. It might be
    what you want and after an hour or two, you'll never use Data|subtotals again
    <vbg>.