Time calculations & text conversions

  1. #1
    Kenny Hubbard
    Guest

    Time calculations & text conversions

    Hi there,

    I have a spreadsheet that gets filled in regularly and has a time(eg 456:56)
    that keeps on accumulating.....this time is exported to a text file when the
    worksheet is saved.

    When a new master worksheet is opened, the text file is imported.....but I
    have 2 problems :-

    1. I am battling to get the computer to convert the text data type
    back into a time data type; and
    2. I need to be able to add to the time, which is over 24 hours. The
    regular formatting thinks the the time must stop at 24 hours and therefore
    produces incorrectly formatted data.

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

    Kenny

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: Time calculations & text conversions

    Kenny,

    Excel stores time values as a number. To convert the time from a text
    format, try using the VALUE function. If that doesn't work, look for
    alternate ways to convert text to numbers.

    To get the total time, apply this format to the cell with the total:

    [h]:mm

    This Microsoft Knowledgebase article on time calculations might help:

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com