2 variables in 2 quadratic equations in excel

  1. #1

    2 variables in 2 quadratic equations in excel

    Dear ms excel user/programmers:

    I hope this question is not repeated before. But anyway

    highly appreciate anyone can tell me how (or hint) to use ms excell
    and/or visual c/c++, basic, or octave(emulate matlab) to solve:
    (12-x)^2 + y^2 =15^2,
    (16+y)^2+x^2=25^2

    (by programming or using its built in function)?

    that ^2 mean square.

    looking to any excel user, mathmatician, and/or programmer's help,
    eric, [email protected]

  2. #2
    Steve Dalton
    Guest

    Re: 2 variables in 2 quadratic equations in excel

    Hi Eric

    The brute force way (requiring the least mathematical analysis) is to
    calculate the left hand side as functions of two reasonable first guess x
    and y inputs and then calculate the total error (say as a sum squares of the
    differences) of these compared to the right hand sides.

    Once you have that you can run the solver add-in to minimise (or set to
    zero) the error cell's value by altering (subject to optional constraints)
    your input x and y values.

    Regards

    Steve Dalton

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: 2 variables in 2 quadratic equations in excel

    > and/or ...octave(emulate matlab) to solve:

    I don't have matlab, but I would assume there is a Solve command similar to
    the following.
    Are you looking for a more general form of the equation in order to solve
    other equations with different variables?

    equ =
    {
    (12-x)^2 + y^2==15^2,
    (16+y)^2 + x^2==25^2
    };

    Solve[equ]

    {x -> 0, y -> 9},
    {x -> 24, y -> -9}

    Dana DeLouis
    Win XP & Office 2003

  4. #4
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: 2 variables in 2 quadratic equations in excel

    Just be advised that, in general, two circles may not intersect (two
    imaginary solutions), have 1 common point, or hopefully in your example, two
    real solutions...

    http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Circle-...ersection.html

    Dana DeLouis
    Win XP & Office 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007
    Hi!

    It's not difficult to check whether solutions will be real etc.

    Take the quoted example:

    The centres of the circles are (12,0) and (0,-16) respectively and their radii are respectively 15 and 25.

    The distance between the centres is 20 (nice of you to choose easy numbers!).
    For the solutions to be real the distance between the centres must be not greater than the sum of the radii. Your chosen example obviously meets this requirement. This is generalisable in Excel terms.

    For the actual solution I would work with axes such that the x-axis coincides with the line of centres of the circles and the origin is on the chord joining the points of intersection of the circles. It's easier starting from this end, with the aim of rotating/translating from this special case to the general one later.

    More later, maybe

    Alf
    Last edited by AlfD; 02-06-2005 at 07:42 PM.

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007
    Hi!

    Yes: there's some useful stuff at http://mathforum.org/dr.math/
    Enter intersecting circles in the search box

    Alf