Scientific notation

  1. #1
    Clive
    Guest

    Scientific notation

    I have a rather extensive excel spreadsheet and when I save it into CSV
    format and try and import it into a SQL database I cannot due to the number
    been in scietific notation. I have foramted the numbers inot number format.
    What am I doing wrong?

  2. #2
    Jamie Collins
    Guest

    Re: Scientific notation

    Clive wrote:
    > I have a rather extensive excel spreadsheet and when I save it into

    CSV
    > format and try and import it into a SQL database I cannot due to the

    number
    > been in scietific notation. I have foramted the numbers inot number

    format.
    > What am I doing wrong?

    Please post some sample data.

    Jamie.

  3. #3

    Re: Scientific notation

    If you open that .csv file in Notepad, are those numbers really in scientific
    notation?

    If no, then it sounds like it's not excel's problem.

    If yes, maybe you could create that .csv file with a little more control.

    Here are three sites that you could steal some code from:

    Earl Kiosterud's Text Write program:
    www.smokeylake.com/excel
    (or directly: http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/text_write_program.htm)

    Chip Pearson's: