bypass password when update linking of password protected file

  1. #1
    Yan
    Guest

    bypass password when update linking of password protected file

    Hi,

    I am the administrator of all the password protected file, and I am linking
    them to one individual summary file, when I open the file, and I want to
    update the link to reflect the most current data, how can I bypass all the
    password, so I don't have to type in the password for all the source file?

  2. #2

    Re: bypass password when update linking of password protected file

    Maybe you could create a macro that would open all those workbooks first.

    Your macro would supply both the workbook's name and password.

    Then after all these workbooks are open, you could open the file that contains
    the links.

    Kind of like:

    option explict
    sub auto_open()
    dim wkbk1 as workbook
    dim wkbk2 as workbook
    dim wkbk3 as workbook

    set wkbk1 = workbooks.open(filename:="c:\a.xls",password:="one")
    set wkbk2 = workbooks.open(filename:="c:\b.xls",password:="two")
    set wkbk3 = workbooks.open(filename:="c:\c.xls",password:="three")

    'wkbk3 is the real one!

    wkbk1.close savechanges:=false
    wkbk2.close savechanges:=false
    'thisworkbook.close savechanges:=false
    end sub

    (I'd create a 4th workbook that opens the files in order and just closes the
    first 2 and then itself.)