Check box & conditional formatting

  1. #1
    Brent
    Guest

    Check box & conditional formatting

    I have inserted check boxes from the Forms Toolbar into my spreadsheet. (i.e
    - cell 'J4').
    When these are selected, I would like for another cell (i.e. - cell 'I4') to
    be colored yellow, and the font be bold and red. I want the text in this
    cell to be the text which I have input - not "True" or "False".
    Can anyone help?

    thanks,
    Brent

  2. #2

    Re: Check box & conditional formatting

    Assign a linked cell to that checkbox.

    Rightclick on the checkbox
    choose Format Control|control tab

    Then you can use that linked cell in your Format|Conditional Formatting formula
    for I4.

    A tip...

    If you assign the linked cell to the cell that is below the checkbox (J4 in your
    sample), you can give that cell a custom format of:
    ;;;
    (3 semicolons)
    so the cell looks empty (You'll see true/false in the formula bar, though.)

  3. #3
    Brent
    Guest

    Re: Check box & conditional formatting

    Unless I missed something...
    I followed your instructions, byut get the same result i was accomplishing
    before. Once I check the "check box" in J4, I receive a "TRUE" in I4. When
    I uncheck the box in J4, I receive "FALSE".
    Instead, I am seeking to have the text that I input (random comments)
    highlighted and bold, as well as have the cell be flooded with a color of my
    choice. In other words, I want the check box to act as a trigger that
    initiates the text and cell formatting I just outlined.

    Sorry if this is confusing...
    Thanks for your attention.

  4. #4

    Re: Check box & conditional formatting

    Put the checkbox in J4. Make the linked cell J4, too.

    Now select I4 (where those comments would go) and
    format|conditional formatting
    formula is:
    =J4=TRUE
    And format it the way you want.