How To Import Text File With No Delimiters?

  1. #1
    Sam
    Guest

    How To Import Text File With No Delimiters?

    I have a text file with over 2,000 names that look like the following:

    Mr. Benoit Smith
    120 Adam Street
    Dorchester, MA 02124

    Marcus Darbouze
    1553 Blue Hill Avenue
    Boston, MA 02126

    American Public Health Initiatives
    10 Fairway Street
    Mattapan, MA 02126

    Most consist of 3 lines some as many as 5. The text file has no
    delimiters so that when I import/open it in Excel it becomes just one
    very long column. I need to convert it or parse it into any other
    database friendly importable format i.e., .dbf, .xls, .csv etc. What I
    need is to convert it into a table with up to five header rows:

    head1 head2 head3 head4 head5

    Please help, I've been at it for way too many hours.

    P.S. Please keep it simple if possible, Excel is all new to me.

    TIA

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: How To Import Text File With No Delimiters?

    Hi Sam,
    You did not indicate examples of the 3 to 5 line of data separated by a blank
    row as to where they should end up. Nevertheless, you should find
    the answer at:

    SNAKECOLS, How to snake columns to use fewer pages
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm
    with specific answer in the following macro:

    naddr2ss (macro code). Convert 1-up labels to Spreadsheet format.
    The 1-Up labels must be separated by at least one blank line to start
    a new spreadsheet row.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/naddr2ss.txt

    If you do not get 5 columns of data you can move the cells
    around on that row to match you usage before continuing
    to process the next destination row.
    ---
    HTH,