V Lookup - How do you make the "Col_index_number" updated

  1. #1
    Michael
    Guest

    V Lookup - How do you make the "Col_index_number" updated

    I have a data base set up in Excel that records all manor of information. I
    then use "Vlookup" to extract information into different tabs of the
    spreadsheet.

    Ie) to one tab provides the summary of the address.

    The problem that I have is that if we introduce another column to the data
    base the "Col_index_number" on the Vlookup does not automatically update. Ie)
    the information that you wanted to look up use to be in Column 6, but once
    you inserted another cell it is now in column 7, but the lookup is still
    refering to Column 6.

    Is there a way around this.
    Michael

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: V Lookup - How do you make the "Col_index_number" updated

    On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 19:37:06 -0800, "Michael"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a data base set up in Excel that records all manor of information. I
    >then use "Vlookup" to extract information into different tabs of the
    >spreadsheet.
    >
    >Ie) to one tab provides the summary of the address.
    >
    >The problem that I have is that if we introduce another column to the data
    >base the "Col_index_number" on the Vlookup does not automatically update. Ie)
    >the information that you wanted to look up use to be in Column 6, but once
    >you inserted another cell it is now in column 7, but the lookup is still
    >refering to Column 6.
    >
    >Is there a way around this.
    >Michael

    If the columns of your DB have labels, then you could use the MATCH function to
    compute the proper column number.

    --ron

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: V Lookup - How do you make the "Col_index_number" updated

    Instead of say:

    In Sheet2
    -------------
    In B1: =VLOOKUP($A1,Sheet1!$A:$C,2,0)
    In C1: =VLOOKUP($A1,Sheet1!$A:$C,3,0)

    (B1:C1 copied down)

    Try something like:

    In B1:

    =VLOOKUP($A1,Sheet1!$A:$C,COLUMNS(Sheet1!$A:B),0)

    Copy B1 across to C1, fill down

    Now when new cols are inserted in the table_array in Sheet1's cols A to C,
    the VLOOKUP formulas above in cols B and C will auto-adjust and maintain the
    same returns
    --
    Rgds
    Max